Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Won't start after fuel filter replacement

23K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  illflem 
#1 ·
Hi, I just changed the fuel filter and the truck will not start. In the past it has started after a fuel filter replacement without having to manually bleed this system. This time I had to bleed the system, I was able to get a solid stream of fuel from the bleeder with no air, manually priming the system. The fuel shutoff solenoid is lifting. The motor did fire a few times but would not stay running, and that was with depressing the accelerator while cranking.

In the process of re tightening the bleeder screw to make sure it wasn't leaking, I did manage to strip out the bleeder screw. It is all the way closed but It appears to be leaking a small amount of fuel. I don't believe it is enough of an air to keep the motor from firing. I am guessing that is going to be a dealer only part?

Thoughts on what the problem could be other then the bleeder screw?

Truck is a 96.

#2 ·
I've seen bad lift pumps show up right after a filter change.
What happens is the injection pump will suck fuel from the tank on it's own but once some air gets in it won't prime on it's own.

Dealer or Cummins for the bleed screw.
It will probably leak more with the engine running.
Big problem is air will get in the system when the truck is parked making it hard to start.

#3 ·
get yourself a lift pump and a good bleeder screw....my lift pump sh1t out right after a fuel filter change....

#4 ·
I'm not entirely sure that it is the lift pump, however it does have 330K on it and it is the original pump. I will probably replace it regardless, seems like I have far exceeded the life expectancy of the original unit. Not to mention I already have to make a trip up to Cummins anyway to get the bleeder screw. I also know the fuel heater is still on and the prefilter screen as never been cleaned. So the fuel heater will go in the trash and the screen cleaned as well. I also plan on replacing the 5/16" return line behind the fuel filter as well as the 1/2" line from the prefilter to the lift pump. Both of those are original so they most likely need replaced as well. Since the fuel filter has to come back off for that I am also going to check the tightness of the water sensor/drain. I went a 1/4 turn past finger tight, should have been tight enough.

The lines from the tank to the motor have been replaced with braided stainless lines. So I shouldn't have a problem there.

Only thing really left would be the sending unit.

#5 ·
Lift Pump

330k on a lift pump? Holy Cow. Mine was out at 140k. I didn't know it at first. Truck was down on power so I figured I needed to change the filter. That's when I discovered the pump had failed. I was told at the time that that is the usual life expectancy.
kk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.