Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Pacbrake Operation

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ropnjessi 
#1 ·
So I just got a Pacbrake installed on my 03-48RE transmission. I notice when the brake is on and I downshift from Drive (Overdrive off) to 2nd gear the Pacbrake will not stay engaged. If I stay in 2nd gear and slow way down and throttle up, only then the Pacbrake may kick in for 2nd gear. I'm wondering if the Smarty TQ needs to be set to zero for towing or simply for the Pacbrake to work correctly. Any input or lessons on this would be helpful.

Thanks

#2 ·
I don't think the tc locks in second like it does in third and more so u probably need a trans controller to lock ur tc otherwise that brake wont do ya much good

#3 ·
Call pac brake direct,1 800 663 0096,talk to Bill.I just put one on my truck and called him with questions and he said he would talk to anyone anytime and answer questions like this.He dives a dodge auto with the pac brake on it and has tried different things so he could answer questions.I have just installed and if you just purchased there is a $100 rebate june to sept on the brake send in your paperwork.Good luck,jeffp,05,stock truk with a pac brake.

#4 ·
Thanks for the name, I will be calling him. I have to say, I just drove 1200 miles and the Pacbrake only worked 60% of the time. When it brakes it does a good job, but getting it to come on is the problem. I tried various different things and nothing would be consistent. I could be driving 70 mph and let off and the brake would come on, then drive another 1/2 mile and it wouldn't come on......:banghead:

#5 ·
Let me know how you make out and what the diagnosis was.Mine had air leaks and I worked and got them stopped and will keep calling Bill if I need more help,nothing better than the main source.Good luck and keep me posted I will check this thread to see how you are doing.jeffp ,05diesel stock truk with the pac brake

#6 · (Edited)
Well, I'm headed back to Nevada now, after talking to Bill he clued me in on a few things. One things was to reset the accelerator position sensor, I've done it before, its free so I did it again. Then simply just touch the throttle for 1 second if the brake does not kick on. So after a few miles I think I have the knack of it.

Now I have a new issue, when driving the truck unloaded it stalls out. For example I will be on the highway driving at 75mph, I'll get my foot into it to pass someone up to 85-90mph then let off the throttle and the the now shuts down at this speed (WTF??) I think the Pacbrake brain is doing this. Before I installed the Pacbrake my truck never shut down, and I have hit 125mph with it before. Any input on this would be great because Pacbrake says its not their problem. I know different......:banghead:

#8 ·
Well this thread is kind of old now and I have since traded that truck off with the Pacbrake, I think overall I wasn't to impressed with the way I had peddle things to get the brake to engage. I found if I had to get the brake on quick because a sudden hill showed up the brake was just not fast enough, and wouldn't even engage. The new factory exhaust brakes work pretty good after having a Pacbrake and able to compare the two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.