I debadged my 2007 truck a while back, and have been trying to come up with something to replace the Dodge emblem on the front grille. I decided to put the Cummins “C’ on the grille.
This is what I came up with, and how I did it..
First, I had to cut of the “Turbo Diesel” part. I used a cut off wheel, starting from the back of the emblem low enough not to get into the actual “C”. It helps to put the “Turbo Diesel part in a vise to hold it.
This is what it looked like after cutting. Can’t stress enough to be sure you are low on the “C”, if you use this method, because the plastic gets hot and melts a little.
Next, I did some sanding and then some trimming with a sharp knife.
This is what it looks like.
I used some goo gone to clean up the back side of the “C”
Here it is cleaned up
Next, I removed the Ram emblem using fishing line. (10 Pound test)
It's actually held to the Grille with double sided tape, but there are 2 "Locator" pins on it, so the easiest way to remove it is work some fishing line between it and the grille in a sawing motion. You have walk the line around the locator pins, but that's no biggie. After that, you pry gently with a slender screwdriver or knife.
Just remember, you can't just start on one side and cut through to the other side.
Once you get the emblem off the grille, you will be able to release the latches that hold the chrome Ram's head to the black background. No double sided tape on that part.
I used the knife to trim away the snap sockets so I’d have a flat surface to mount the “C”.
I cleaned the glue and sticker residue off the grille.
I masked off the emblem area, and began to paint it black. This will help blend the black background piece into the grille.
After a couple coats of Gloss Black
The “C” is flat, and the black background piece is curved a little, so I used a dark gray RTV to glue it to the black background piece.
I let the RTV dry overnight.
This is how it looks so far.
After letting it dry overnight (It’s not completely dry, but good enough to work with). I used the same RTV to glue it to the truck.
Here’s the finished piece.
As always, feel free to comment or ask questions!