Injector contribution test question - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Injector contribution test question

Hey guys I know this has been covered but all topics were closed. On my 05 I did wolf creek 60's with new Bosch bodies. Ever since my mpg has dropped from 16ish to about 13 and I have a steady haze driving. Curious how I run a contribution test? Or do I have to go to cummins or the dealer?
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05straight6 View Post
Hey guys I know this has been covered but all topics were closed. On my 05 I did wolf creek 60's with new Bosch bodies. Ever since my mpg has dropped from 16ish to about 13 and I have a steady haze driving. Curious how I run a contribution test? Or do I have to go to cummins or the dealer?
It's done using one of the OBD tools such as the Starscan (or other electronic tool as well, just not sure which exact ones). Best bet is go to your local dealership or diesel shop and go straight to the service area and ask for the lead diesel tech. Start talking with him and showing him your interest in knowing the health of your injectors. Offer him some cash and see if on his break he'll run the kill and contribution tests for you (literally take 5 min to do both).

I just did those tests yesterday...see thread here: Results of my Injector Kill Test and Contribution Test - Your Thoughts??

Only cost me $25 to do both tests and enable manual high idle. Moral of story - go make friends with the lead diesel tech and get it done for some cash or a case of beer.

As for the haze, some members here have stated that when going with +50 or +60 hp injecotrs that a tuner like a Smarty or EFILive is needed to adjust timing to take some haze out of the mix
2006 2500 Mega Cab 4wd - ATS Stage 4 48RE - MBRP Muffler Delete Pipe - EFI Live by Anarchy - '08.5+ Steering Upgrade - Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace - Autometer Boost, EGT, and Trans Temp Gauges - Other Vitals Monitored via UltraGauge
Mike Wood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Awesome thanks man. I got ahold of an old friend of mine at the dealer and Thursday his highly recommended diesel guy is in so he's gonna run the tests for me. I really just wanna make sure everything's in-check while I still can. Don't want anything bigger coming out of neglect.

I used a snap on solus to do a kill test ( how I found my bad injector before) and the fact it was making oil. Idk if it will do contribution.

I also heard the same with going bigger but I put a smarty jr and any way I adjust timing has no effect. That's why I'm thinking maybe they're out of whack
Old 01-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

what color is the haze and do you see it at idle.
063500dually4X4qcg56,dynatrac,bd exhaust brake,donaldson m090535muffler,cfm+,winspeed spacer,smartyjr,taylor wings,luberfiner bypass filter,psm cold air,cool hose,tag,air tab's,pdr cam,ddp50hp injectors,htt 62 65 13ss,ss manifold, turbo and manifold blankets
carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl48 View Post
what color is the haze and do you see it at idle.
At idle I do see it when first started and also after running, it's black not like it would be when hammering, but still black. And driving I'd say its a dark grey black...again not as dark as WOT
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.