injector test - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question injector test

I just got my truck back from the dealer for a hard start and idle problem and also the tach would jump from 400 to 750 with no change in the motor. They told me all the tests were inconclusive and dismissed it. It looks like all they did was an injector test and the results are as follows:
injector kill test-all ok. Ran high pressure test-ok, CK injector % all within spec- found about 50% idle time- Max per Dodge is 20%-OM 41515.
What does the last part of the test mean about percent and Could they have done more tests to rule out failed injectors? I have been dealing with this problem for months. I have checked the wires near the ac comp and none were bare.
2006 quad cab slt 4x4(ats torque converter, valve body, billet input, ats arc flow, custom intake, ats exhaust manifold,airdog 150, aurora 3000, Crazy Larry 2.4d, ts ramifier,, 4 inch superlift,35.13.50, dual 4 inch exhaust. Isspro EV 2 x 5, fs 2500
(mosquitocontrol) is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

The ecm keeps track of "idle time". I have never gotten a definition of exactly what "idle time" means to Dodge. When I had injector issues they tried that crap with me. I don't sit around and idle, the 36K miles a year I average pretty much proves that. I had to gently push them to dig deeper.

They said all injectors in spec? What were the contribution % for each? Do you have white smoke along with the rough idle when cold starting? I had to leave my truck over night for them to see the white smoke and rough idle. Finally I got a tech who saw the issue and found the bad injector by removing the exhaust manifold and letting it sit over night. Then he ha someone start it in the morning while he watched the exhaust ports for smoke. That enabled him to find the bad injector and replace it. Another one went out some time later and the same tech decided to replace all 6. No problems since.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

You should also insist on an injector flow and return test. After dealing with lots of dealer BS, I eventually had all 6 replaced as well.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Dealers are a pain. I am almost certain that I have an injector failing on my truck too and their test aren't coming up with anything. It has a miss in the engine. It doesn't start the greatest. It doesn't even feel the same when it shut down. I feel your pain on dealer BS.
2005 quad cab LB 6spd Edge/Smarty/5" Magnaflow/Fass150/150/Spearco intercooler/II phat shaft 62/ATS intake and exhaust manifold/SB DD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEyU-...eature=channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVQ18_0HPg4
mybadford is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2008, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Most if not all will only do the "kill" test as they have to follow DC trouble shooting procedures. the kill test will not show anything negative if you have more then 1 bad injector, hence "kill test-all ok". If possible ask the service manager what his thoughts would be if you could take your truck to a "real" diesel shop to have a "flow/return" test done. And then present them with the results. With "50% idle time" I believe you have a number of injectors fouled up with carbon. I believe "idle time" is defined as anything under 1000rpm moving or parked. Engine just does not get hot enough to burn the fuel at these rpms. JMHO

ps. If you have one of those inferred tempature guns shoot each exhaust port(due this after running the engine up to normal operating temps and then at idle check temps) the colder cylinders will indicate which injector(s) are NFG. You can p/u the temp guns at most auto parts stores.

Last edited by BlackGold05; 10-19-2008 at 02:07 PM.
BlackGold05 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGold05 View Post
Most if not all will only do the "kill" test as they have to follow DC trouble shooting procedures. the kill test will not show anything negative if you have more then 1 bad injector, hence "kill test-all ok". If possible ask the service manager what his thoughts would be if you could take your truck to a "real" diesel shop to have a "flow/return" test done. And then present them with the results. With "50% idle time" I believe you have a number of injectors fouled up with carbon. I believe "idle time" is defined as anything under 1000rpm moving or parked. Engine just does not get hot enough to burn the fuel at these rpms. JMHO

ps. If you have one of those inferred tempature guns shoot each exhaust port(due this after running the engine up to normal operating temps and then at idle check temps) the colder cylinders will indicate which injector(s) are NFG. You can p/u the temp guns at most auto parts stores.
now what does NFG mean?
05 3500 QC LB SBC DD 3250| ISSPRO fuel/EGT/Boost| S-06 TNT-R| DDP50's| II BOP| AD100| S&B Elbow & CAI| II Silver 62| PDI 2Pc.| 5"TBE/51" Donaldson| Procomp| Hellwig| T-REX Flatbed/Steps| Thx to ALGTR PERF & DDP
R_Zachs is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Thanks for the help. I will try to pick up a temp gun and take it in for a flow/return test.
2006 quad cab slt 4x4(ats torque converter, valve body, billet input, ats arc flow, custom intake, ats exhaust manifold,airdog 150, aurora 3000, Crazy Larry 2.4d, ts ramifier,, 4 inch superlift,35.13.50, dual 4 inch exhaust. Isspro EV 2 x 5, fs 2500
(mosquitocontrol) is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2008, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
now what does NFG mean?

No Frackin Good
BlackGold05 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Any Dodge dealer (especially one who has a diesel tech) will be able to do a flow and return test. If you keep at it, you can find a dealer that will do it for you, and in most cases like yours, one or more bad injectors will be found and replaced.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

driveability problem with a cummins

I hope someone will be able to help me here. I have a truck that is a 2004 dodge with the 325 hp ISB. came to me not running. After initial checks I pulled the head and found the number one cylinder had gotten real hot and melted the rings to the cylinder walls and piston. Had the block reworked and put new pistons and rings (20 thousands) and rebuilt the engine. I put a new injector in the number one hole and replaced the exhaust springs due to collapse. the head was milled to clean it up and all the valves were lapped. After initial start-up the truck seemed to idle good.... a little chatter but not bad. I get heavy black smoke from the exhaust when accelerating and no smoke at idle. the throttle responce is good but after throttle is released the engine will not or hesitates to return to idle. I checked for codes but there are non and pressure in the fuel rail seem normal. I did a cylinder contribution test and cut out each cylinder one by one and the engine smoked upon acc. each time. I pulled the fuel control actuator at the back of the high press. pump and gave it a shake. and it did not rattle so the manual said to replace. the engine also had a long crank time, after the fca was replaced the crank time got shorter and the engine soundes really good at idle but I still smoke only when accell. and it will still not return to idle or hesitate to return to idle. any ideas? I have checked all that I did 4 or 5 times with no luck
cessna150c is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I think a flow / return test is in order there too.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Subscribed
04.5 2500 Laramie QCSB NV5600-Edge CTS,Afe II w/proguard 7, CFM +,3250 DD hydro, AFe stainless exhaust, BodyGuard Extreme Front End Replacement, Bushwacker Flares, Skyjacker Shocks and Stab, PSC Steering Box Brace, Rhinoliner, LT285/75/17 Terra Grapplers on dale jr's
lew04 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to lew04 For This Useful Post:
juanchocr (11-05-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.