NV5600 6 Speed 1st or 2nd gear start? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
NV5600 6 Speed 1st or 2nd gear start?

So I just bought this new truck and it has the NV5600 6 speed transmission and I want a clear answer on what gear to start in. Okay so let's say I'm not towing or hauling anything. If I'm at a stop light and I'm completely stopped (not uphill), should I start in 1st or 2nd gear? I have been starting in second gear usually but I hate when I get that lugging/grinding sound. If I don't accelerate fast enough while starting in second gear I get that lugging sound and I feel as if that can't be good for the truck. Should I just start out in 1st gear from now on?
CumminsRacetruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Starting in second is fine even if it feels like it's lugging a little isn't gonna hurt anything. And it beats shifting twice in like 2 seconds lol. 1st gear is super low in this trans more meant for starting on hills if you have a load, etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The Following User Says Thank You to Jsmuck94 For This Useful Post:
dozer12216 (11-10-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmuck94 View Post
Starting in second is fine even if it feels like it's lugging a little isn't gonna hurt anything. And it beats shifting twice in like 2 seconds lol. 1st gear is super low in this trans more meant for starting on hills if you have a load, etc.

Thanks for the answer. Also, you say the lugging/grinding sound isn't gonna hurt anything?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Its Gold Bond season

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I always started in 2nd with my 04 that had a nv5600 when unloaded truck had 170k miles when I sold it to get my current truck no problems. Only used first when I needed to crawl in traffic or towing trailers.
Make sure your gear box has 6 qts in it (over fill by one quart) to keep it alive.
315s-EDGE CTS-SMARTY S06-DPP COOL HOSE-4"TBE-
BANKS INTERCOOLER-AMSOIL BYPASS-LINE X-
BW TURN OVER-KENWOOD T281A/LARSEN NMO150

TheDude724 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Both the answers above I agree. Really no need for first unless you have a load. You just need to shift sooner. If you are on a steep incline, put it in first and let the clutch do the work for you.
2004.5 2500 QCSB 6sp 4x4 SLT. 5" turbo back,Isspro EV2 gauges, aftermarket clutch, custom intake, Pac exhaust brake w/ on-board air, Pusher intake, leveling kit, Bushwacker Pocket fender flares, custom front and rear bumpers, Smarty S06 POD
krashDH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude724 View Post
I always started in 2nd with my 04 that had a nv5600 when unloaded truck had 170k miles when I sold it to get my current truck no problems. Only used first when I needed to crawl in traffic or towing trailers.
Make sure your gear box has 6 qts in it (over fill by one quart) to keep it alive.
Ok thank you. Did you ever have the lugging sound though?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 24 Valve Cummins with NV56000, Valair Dual Disk #3800 Plate Load, Valair Heavy Duty Hydraulic Assembly, Smarty S06 With UDC Custom Tunes, AutoMeter C2 Series Gauges, S&B Cold Air Intake, MBRP 5" TBE, Fass Titanium 150
Old 11-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

The only time I use first is when I just let the truck idle along in really slow traffic. Second gear starts are fine. And like jsmuck said, just one less shift in a couple of seconds.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CumminsRacetruck View Post
Thanks for the answer. Also, you say the lugging/grinding sound isn't gonna hurt anything?
If we're thinking of the same thing then no. Does the truck possible have an aftermarket clutch? Some of them especially if dual disk will have a lot of chatter/noise at lower speeds and starting off which is normal and not a problem. Stock clutches in my experience are usually fairly quiet though

Old 11-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I'm pretty sure its the same sound my truck makes. I don't know if my clutch is stock or not. That lugging sound is normal for me at least and I havent had any issues.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
If we're thinking of the same thing then no. Does the truck possible have an aftermarket clutch? Some of them especially if dual disk will have a lot of chatter/noise at lower speeds and starting off which is normal and not a problem. Stock clutches in my experience are usually fairly quiet though

I do not believe it has an aftermarket clutch. The thing that also leads me to believe that it does no damage is that, it only makes he lugging sound sometimes. It only happens if I'm not accelerating fast enough which seems to make sense.
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 24 Valve Cummins with NV56000, Valair Dual Disk #3800 Plate Load, Valair Heavy Duty Hydraulic Assembly, Smarty S06 With UDC Custom Tunes, AutoMeter C2 Series Gauges, S&B Cold Air Intake, MBRP 5" TBE, Fass Titanium 150
Old 11-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yea as long as the gear box is full like mentioned above I wouldn't worry about it

Old 11-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Yea as long as the gear box is full like mentioned above I wouldn't worry about it

I agree. You let the rpm s drop she'll groan for a second
2004.5 2500 QCSB 6sp 4x4 SLT. 5" turbo back,Isspro EV2 gauges, aftermarket clutch, custom intake, Pac exhaust brake w/ on-board air, Pusher intake, leveling kit, Bushwacker Pocket fender flares, custom front and rear bumpers, Smarty S06 POD
krashDH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.