Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen. Powertrain (http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/)
-   -   wont turn over (http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/718929-wont-turn-over.html)

irishprodigy 10-17-2013 01:47 PM

wont turn over

i have a 2004 dodge ram 2500 and it will not turn over. when i turn the key it just tries to start but nothing. i already replaced batteries any suggestions? its a 6 speed manual

ykdave 10-17-2013 05:17 PM

so lets just clarify, it tries to start, but doesnt turn over...? which one is it?

It cranks but wont fire? turn the key and nothing happens? starter just clicks?

Sorry, terminology is a SOB, and in this case "trying to start but not turning over" isnt very helpful LOL

JakeDiesel 10-17-2013 08:05 PM

What he said

Put a wrench on the harmonic balancer see if you can turn it over by hand. If so look for bad connection, if not you have other problems.

papaduck 10-18-2013 01:13 AM

If I understand you correctly you are saying it turns over while cranking but the engine will not fire off and run. If this is the case, it could be one of several things.

First check to insure that you are getting fuel to the CP3 (the injection pump). The lift pump may have quit or the filter may be clogged. To check the pump put a container to catch the fuel on the filter drain and open the drain valve. Turn the ignition on and the pump will run for about 3 seconds, bump the starter, do not start, and the pump should run for about 25 seconds. If the pump is working correctly then change the filter.

Most no starts are caused by leaking or worn injectors and which is reducing rail pressure. The rail pressure needs to get up to around 3000psi in order for the ECM to fire the injectors.

If the engine is not turning over fast enough, this could also be the cause of a no start. You did say that you replaced the batteries but check all the connections and especially the large cable that connects the batteries, it can corrode under the insulation.

I do not suggest you use starting fluid as it can ignite from the grid heaters. It is also hard on the engine.

If you can do a safe rolling start since it is a standard trans this might help to diagnose the problem but only after you insure the engine is getting fuel.

irishprodigy 10-18-2013 08:36 PM

Ok let me be more specific it cranks but wont fire and my roommate shot starting fluid in it and it started right up and ran fine till i turned it off again

irishprodigy 10-18-2013 08:37 PM

i dont know very much about truck or cars in general first dodge learning as i go

JakeDiesel 10-18-2013 09:25 PM

Using starter fluid isn't a good idea especially on a diesel.

Make sure your batteries and all your connections going to the starter. Make sure its cranking fast enough. I believe they have to be turning over 120rpms before they fire.

irishprodigy 10-18-2013 09:40 PM

I already checked all connections and bought new batteries

JakeDiesel 10-19-2013 08:53 AM

When it was running was the check engine light one. Do you know if all your sensors are working, Do you know what your rail pressure is. Sounds like your getting fuel to the cp3 pump, but you do know if its making enough pressure, even though with new batteries if it is really turning fast enough. When you say checked did you take all the connections off and clean them or just look at them sometimes you can see the corrosion.

steelhead01 10-19-2013 09:21 AM

first thing
perform the code test
key on but DON'T start> key off> key on again> key off> key on and left on.
read the codes in the odometer and write them down
reads DONE when ECU is finished and ready.
post here.

no codes, then find a high end scan tool and read the cranking rail pressure and the cranking rpm

ether is made to be snorted by humans NOT Cummins

Gummi Bear 10-19-2013 12:13 PM

I'm having the exact same problem with my 04.

220k on it. Lift pump is pumping (have an in-tank pump, put in at 100k). Engine turns over, sounds same as always; strong crank. Batteries about 2 years old. I change my fuel filter every 7-10k miles when I change the oil.

I'm worried it is either the CP3 or injectors.

It is not throwing any codes.

To make things more interesting, I need to be at work, have a big project due on Monday. Trying to find a ride to the shop now.

winger 10-27-2013 08:17 PM

So it will crank, it just won't fire up without a starting aid? Shouldn't be cold enough to need the grid heater. Sounds like injectors. Mine are on the way out and now that temp around here is dropping. It takes a good 10-15 seconds of cranking before it fires. And FYI ether is for starting diesel engines, some even came with cans mounted on the engine piped into the intake manifold, there just not meant for engines with an intake heating system.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App