Does this look like a water pump leak? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Does this look like a water pump leak?

I opened the hood and noticed the coolant overflow bottle was low and the truck had never lost any coolant in the past. Upon further inspection, I noticed that there was coolant fluid on the ground. Below are the pictures of the area.
Do you think these are the signs of needing a new water pump? If so, what is a good quality water pump? Are there certain brands of water pumps to stay away from?

picture from top looking down at the water pump and leak.

looking at the leaking area from below.
2004.0 Dodge Ram 2500,Stock 5.9L Diesel H.O. 305HP/555lb.ft ,6-speed NV5600, 2WD,2" front level, Frantz oil bypass, Cat 1R-0479 fuel filter under the intake, Baldwin BF1212 filter under the truck, Smarty S06 programmer,revo tune,Issopro FP,ETG,Boost gauges
Jbremount is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

id say your best bet is to find someone with a pressure tester. it looks like theres a trail or somethhing above the water pump but its hard to tell
Old 09-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Looks like it. I would buy the cummins one. Alot of people also use a Napa one.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
02 3500 HO 6 spd dually straight exhaust - 7x.010 injectors-edge ez-Dr. P box- exhaust brake - silencer ring gone - autometer boost-egt-fuel - napa 6637 bhaf-valair dual disc - timbo's apps(soon he351vgt 4 inch exhaust)

Looking for a timing box or a small timing/fuel box. Pm me
c farmer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Oh ya change that water pump. They are real easy by the way. I bought one from autozone and it stayed in my 2005 for 3 years before i sold the truck. Good luck
Old 09-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

looks like a pump. i second 99cumminsron,they are simple to change.i got mine at napa with a lifetime warranty and its been in there couple years now with no problems.see if you can get a mirror in there and look at the bottom of the pump.there should be a weeping hole that will show a trail of coolant coming out if the seal is gone. in the one pic it kind of looks like the top had coolant on it at one time but hard to tell

Last edited by bmucci; 09-11-2012 at 08:45 PM.
bmucci is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

It looks like the gasket between the block and pump is leaking. For the price and since you would have to remove the pump just replace the pump. Change hoses and t-stat if they are old and change fluid while your thwre

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Just got to napa, they're like 50 some bucks and take less than 30 minutes to install, the hardest part is cleaning up the coolant mess you will make

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by USARMY12V View Post
With a 47RE it's impossible to tell. It's easier diagnosing what's wrong with a woman.
Twistedcummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Double post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USARMY12V View Post
With a 47RE it's impossible to tell. It's easier diagnosing what's wrong with a woman.
Twistedcummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Stuck a mirror under the pump and attempted to get a good picture of the weep hole. The truck has been off for about a hour but the weep hole is wet. I think the weep hole is leaking, but I agree that it looks like the whole seal is leaking. I wonder if this pump is the original and has never been changed out. The pump sure looks like an old one!

2004.0 Dodge Ram 2500,Stock 5.9L Diesel H.O. 305HP/555lb.ft ,6-speed NV5600, 2WD,2" front level, Frantz oil bypass, Cat 1R-0479 fuel filter under the intake, Baldwin BF1212 filter under the truck, Smarty S06 programmer,revo tune,Issopro FP,ETG,Boost gauges

Last edited by Jbremount; 09-11-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

i think macko is right too.looks like the whole seal is leaking. my opinion is new pump and seal should fix it.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Make sure your pump is NOT made in India! I've replaced a couple 'Cummins' water pumps recently on industrial engines they were all made in India, one lasted 2 weeks before it started leaking again, and one is starting to loose the bearing 2 months later. The other's have never had a problem.\

Oh, and it's literally a 5 minute job. Cleaning up the coolant takes longer than the actual repair!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I called around to the Auto parts stores,O'riley's, Advance Auto, and Auto Zone, and most had a house brand made in who knows where for about $50. Auto zone's pump was made in Spain, the others claimed to not know where their water pumps were made! I could not find a name brand water pump anywhere. I'll call Napa and Cummins in the morning. Rock Auto has a Gates and a Bosh water pump that look pretty good. From my past experiences, Rock Auto usually has the best prices on the better quality auto parts. Anyone know if the Gates or Bosh water pumps are good/bad? I rather pay once for a quality water pump that will last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.