popping sound in the front end - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mega Cab Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
popping sound in the front end

I got a popping in the front end when I press the brake in sometimes. I have replace Ball Joint, wheel bearing, everything in the front end. I can't find out what is causing it. Need some help. Oh the control arms are good had them checked today.

Last edited by Themoparman68; 08-09-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Themoparman68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Sway bar end links or steering shaft.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mega Cab Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600crpower View Post
Sway bar end links or steering shaft.
sway bar ends are new just got them today steering shaft is new. I did a search on here and I think that it maybe the brakes caliper. It started after I put in the new ball joints and they are Carli Ball Joints. I have replace everything on the front and the popping is on the driver side only.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mega Cab Fanatic

Going to take it all a part tomorrow and see what i come up with.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
What about the caliper?

2007.5 Dodge 2500 G56 Dual Disc Clutch, GDP Intake Manifold, CCV Delete, GDP Throttle Valve, EGR Delete, AirDog Fuel System, Banks Intercooler, Banks Ram Air, H&S Mini Maxx(soon to be EFI Live), Fuel Press. Boost & Pyro Pillar Gauges

2000, 2002, 2006, 2007(5.9) Dodge 2500 - SOLD
cumminsdieselfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ok here is a thought i had a popping sound in mine when i stopped really hard or floored it and it sounded to me like it was coming from the front end of the truck i finally had my wife sit in the truck while i watched the underside having her go in reverse and slambon the brakes then forward.... turned out it was my carrier bearing on my driveshaft going bad and flexing.... might not be your problem but its worth looking into.... also does it do it if you crank the wheel and push the gas pedal in?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Please update us on what you find. I too have a popping sound in my front end since changing out everything. The only time I notice it is when backing up and then pressing the brake firmly so that the suspension actually moves. The next time you go forward and brake, you can hear it pop again and then it doesnt do it again until I back up again. I have dynatrac ball joints, carli leveling kit with carli control arms, and 08.5+ steering. I really believe the noise is coming from the control arms even though I have tightened them incredibly tight. The popping is too loud and you can feel it in the floor so much that I dont believe it is brake related. I also have a Carli track bar, but I dont see how the track bar could make the popping noise but I guess anything is possible.
Glidehm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mega Cab Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidehm View Post
Please update us on what you find. I too have a popping sound in my front end since changing out everything. The only time I notice it is when backing up and then pressing the brake firmly so that the suspension actually moves. The next time you go forward and brake, you can hear it pop again and then it doesnt do it again until I back up again. I have dynatrac ball joints, carli leveling kit with carli control arms, and 08.5+ steering. I really believe the noise is coming from the control arms even though I have tightened them incredibly tight. The popping is too loud and you can feel it in the floor so much that I dont believe it is brake related. I also have a Carli track bar, but I dont see how the track bar could make the popping noise but I guess anything is possible.
That is how my dose.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Do you guys have a two piece driveshaft?
Old 08-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

No. I have a one piece. Guess I should have added that along with my info. 2005 QCLB 4x4. Popping noise didn't start till the front end was redone, and I have also taken the upper control arm bolts out at the frame, and they are not egg shaped from being loose. I have read this could possibly be a problem causing the noise, but not in my case!
Glidehm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Check the upper bolt on your track bar, sometimes the bolt will move around in the hole causing a very loud pop...
Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Well then what i was talking about wouldnt apply to you glidehem. Does it do it when your wheels are turned or just if they are straight or both?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.