Join Date: May 2011
Location: Snohomish, Wa
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Just had to replace one of mine earlier this year. Pretty easy to do.
Heres the procedure to replace the rear axle bearing/seal from the service manual, sorry pics aren't included. I think you can get by without the special tool for the bearing nut, a pair of longer needle nose pliers may work since the torque is only 22 ft lbs the backed off 30 deg. No c-clip in the diff on these axles, so you don't need to pull the cover.
1. Remove axle shaft flange bolts and remove axle shaft.
2. Remove retainer ring (1) from axle shaft tube.
3. Remove hub bearing nut (1) locking key (2) from axle tube (3).
4. Remove hub bearing nut with Socket 8954.
5. Remove hub and bearings from the axle.
6. Pry out hub bearing seal from the back of the hub.
NOTE: The inner part of the seal (3) may stay on the axle tube (2). This part must also be removed with pry bar (1).
7. Remove rear bearing.
8. Remove hub bearing cups with a hammer and drift.
1. Install outer hub bearing cup with Installer 8961 and Handle C-4171.
2. Install inner hub bearing cup with Installer 8962 and Handle C-4171.
3. Pack bearings with the appropriate grease.
4. Install rear bearing and install new grease seal with Installer 8963 and Handle C-4171.
5. Slide hub on the axle tube and install front bearing into the hub.
6. Install hub bearing nut with Socket 8954 (1) and torque wrench (2) to 30 N·m (22 ft. lbs.) while rotating the hub.
7. Back off nut about 30° and align next hub nut key slot with axle tube key slot and install locking key. End play should be 0.025-0.25 mm (0.001-0.010 in.).
8. Install retainer ring (1) with ring end in the key slot (2).
9. Install new axle shaft gasket and install axle shaft.
'03 3500 SRW QC Laramie LB, Smarty S-06 W/TNT, DDP 90's, ED 63/68/14, Arson III, DTT Trans, Goerend TC, 4" exh, AFE Int, Walbro Fuel Pump, Gauges (fuel, boost, pyro, trans temp, rail), 4.10's, Thuren 3" springs & TB, BOD control arms