Running rough - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Running rough

Ok my 06 just rolled 100k. I took the wife to the doctor today, me and the kids rode around the car lots looking well after about an hr. or so of low RPM driving around the truck started acting like it was missing when at a stop light. But when i took off it was ok. Well I got it on a good stretch and opened it up for a few seconds and it was fine after that. This happen to anyone else?
AFE STAGE 1 /4" TO 6" TURNOUT STACKS / HOLLEY BLACK / FUEL GAUGE / EDGE JUICE W/ATT / PHAT SHAFT 62
sthrnrider is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
"CUMMINS" INDIANA

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Mine has had a rough idle every once ina while. Like you stated, usually after short trips without much 'boosting' but I haven't had any concern because it's so intermittant. Doesn't seem to last long, and doesn't appear to be "Life Threatening" to the 5.9L.

I'd say keep a mental note of how often and under what conditions it happens, and Then ask here...?

Daniel
2004.5 Ram 2500 QCSB, SLT 4x4, "Tuned" Cummins 5.9L H.O. w/A Secret Ingredient, Stock 48RE A/T, Factory 4:10 Axles

She has SOME Mods... but they're too boring to list here!
Ram_Wagon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

First time it had happened but this is the first time idling around lots and not building much boost.
AFE STAGE 1 /4" TO 6" TURNOUT STACKS / HOLLEY BLACK / FUEL GAUGE / EDGE JUICE W/ATT / PHAT SHAFT 62
Old 06-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
"CUMMINS" INDIANA

Wish I had an answer for ya? I would say again, just pay attention IF it does it again? And see what conditions actually "set" the rough idle. I haven't done that, because I figured with 154K miles, I should expect it?

Keep us posted IF you find anything?
2004.5 Ram 2500 QCSB, SLT 4x4, "Tuned" Cummins 5.9L H.O. w/A Secret Ingredient, Stock 48RE A/T, Factory 4:10 Axles

Old 06-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Mine did that in the 9X,XXX+ miles and still does every now and then. It would lope, idle rough, and sometimes just when I came to a stop. Took it to the dealer under warranty and of course, "they didn't see anything wrong with it".

I used Stanadyne and it worked for a good while. Started doing it again and so, I tried 2-stroke oil...worked for while. Then, started doing it again occasionally. It left me in the parking lot at work after working 12 hours the other day. I wasn't too happy. Now, at 118,XXX miles, found out that I do have a bad injector in number 2. Not saying you have the same problem, but just throwing it out there.

I bought a re-manufactured injector today and we're going to get it in tomorrow- hopefully, I'll be good for a long time now.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
"CUMMINS" INDIANA

Just outta curiousity, any clue as to why only 1 injector fails? (asking that in general, not to anyone specific) Would it be safe to say that if 1 of 6 fails, then the other 5 maybe suspect later on?

I gotta quit thinking out loud...

But in MOST cases, let's use something as simple as a headlight. If 1 goes out, if it was installed around the same time as the other, is will more than likely go out too soon.

So in the case of injectors, CumminsGirl91, I'd be ready to find the other 5. JUST in case!

I REALLY Hope you don't have another crap out on ya! You'll blame me for jinxin' ya!!!!

Mine does the "loping" too, along with the rough idle... sometimes? Can't "make" it do it. Just does. Wondered about Low Sulfur diesel sometimes...

Daniel

Old 06-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Yeah I get the lope sometimes as well. Noticed it a cpl weeks ago it loping when I started it up was wondering what the heck was going on. It doesn't lope enough to move the tach.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_Wagon View Post
Just outta curiousity, any clue as to why only 1 injector fails? (asking that in general, not to anyone specific) Would it be safe to say that if 1 of 6 fails, then the other 5 maybe suspect later on?

I gotta quit thinking out loud...

But in MOST cases, let's use something as simple as a headlight. If 1 goes out, if it was installed around the same time as the other, is will more than likely go out too soon.

So in the case of injectors, CumminsGirl91, I'd be ready to find the other 5. JUST in case!

I REALLY Hope you don't have another crap out on ya! You'll blame me for jinxin' ya!!!!

Mine does the "loping" too, along with the rough idle... sometimes? Can't "make" it do it. Just does. Wondered about Low Sulfur diesel sometimes...

Daniel

Lol, yeah! I was thinking the same, especially considering my luck!! I hope the other 5 won't go out, at least for a long time. I was considering buying a whole new set but maybe later on. I just had to buy a new a/c last week and didn't feel like spending any more $ this month.
Ram_Wagon (06-18-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I would be very wary of the othe injectors if it were mine... It's often advised to get all 6 NEW injectors. Messing around with remans can be extremely time consuming and cause more down time than it's worth

And to the OP it might not be a bad idea to check out the rough idle sticky and check some wires out

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Moochoff is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Moochoff For This Useful Post:
sthrnrider (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Thanks I'll do that
Old 06-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

My 06 with 207K miles has done the lope every now and then for the last 100K miles. Not always, just occasionally. Not worried about it.
06 Megacab 4WD,Transgo kit, 2" TopGunz kit,4.11, H-2 wheels,315/70/17 BFG's, Flashpaq, K&N, B&W goose, dual shocks at each corner up front, steering box brace, and a bigass dent in the tailgate because my wife just had to back the trailer...
rgsauger is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Mine does it on occasion, from what I've figured out, 1. your injectors are probably getting up there in age (sometimes this has nothing to do with it though) 2. It's the idling around that causes this, the fuel isn't being shot through the injector fast enough or in enough volume so it "clogs" the injector just a tad causing a slight rough idle. That's why you notice after you run it good it doesn't idle bad when you stop. So when your putting around roll alittle coal just to get the rpm's up for a second to keep those injectors clean. A lot of the times I leave my truck at idling I'll use the high idle to keep the fuel flowing!
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.