Smarty vs. Edge - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Smarty vs. Edge

Smarty or edge jucie with attitude? For a stock 03 common rail? Which ones easiest on fuel an power train?
Cummins CR is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I like the smartys but I don't have a CR so I should not tell you anything but just my $0.02 you need guages first Zane!!!

'05 F 2fidy... 6.0 all stock except for dual exhaust
#1_Cummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to #1_Cummins For This Useful Post:
Cummins CR (04-02-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I really like my S-06 POD. It has a good bit of customability. But having the screen for the edge is a pretty nice feature too. I'm sure other guys with a lot more background will chime in here with some more useful info.
amstall is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to amstall For This Useful Post:
Cummins CR (04-02-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins CR View Post
Smarty or edge jucie with attitude? For a stock 03 common rail? Which ones easiest on fuel an power train?
Your right foot dictates how easy a tuner is on your power train. My vote is for a smarty and gauges.
Cummins CR (04-02-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

There ya go Zane! (S06 pod is the smarty) plus I like the looks of the traditional 3 guage pod on the pillar! And I agree with amstall. There is a lot of customability.

Cummins CR (04-02-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
MO chapter Vice President

Edge has safety backdown feature that watches your egt's, trans or clutch for slippage, and coolent temp. It will back off your power if it sees your truck going close to harm and the thresholds are adjusable (or even defeatable) by you. Smarty has NO safety feature! Edge has gauges built in. Smarty does not! Edge can be found in the classifieds for $300-$400. Smarty is almost double that, and you still need hundreds of dollars worth of gauges! Smaty has been known to lock up ecm's! Edge has no history of this. Dealer can wipe your tune off your truck unknowingly with smarty. They cant do that wirh edge. Now Smarty supporters will talk about all the tuning options you get with Smarty. It is true, but they have NO capability to truly change tunes on the fly! Edge does. Smarty guys say ( wrongfuly) how HOT edge runs (refering to high egt's), and how they can use the smarty's vast tuning capabilities to tune down thier egt's. What they are missing is you can turn down the high torque yeilding low boost fueling with edge also! Edge calls it throttle responce and it is adjustible, levels 1-5 ( lvl1=no smoke or low torque, lvl2=low smoke, lvl3=average, better throttle responce, lvl5= best throttle responce or higest possable egts and most smoke) in all power levels1-5 (1=better fuel milage, 2=towing, 3=drive, 4=race, 5=extreme, and a optional lvl6=hot unlock 200hp+). Thats a total of 30 tunes you can choose from, pluse the stock setting! All completly adjustable at ANY time you want, with just a touch of a button instantly no matter what your doing. Smarty does have a 230hp tune that does trump edge, but it is so hot its hardly usable. Smarty can be used as a scan tool, were edge juice with additude can not ( i bought a scan tool at my local auto parts store for $60). My vote is for EDGE! Good Luck!

Sent from my LS670 using AutoGuide.com App
05',4x4,slt,EDGE hot,SNOW mpg/max,ATS;intercooler:ex.manifold:billit trans:flexplate:5-star converter,BANKS;high ram:monster exaust,Kat mia,Keystone"ram air"hood,AFE stage II,AIRDOG 165,TOP GUNZ leveled,MAXX links,NITTO 295's,mystery switch,HTT 62/65/12,

Last edited by danb359; 03-31-2012 at 09:20 AM.
danb359 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to danb359 For This Useful Post:
Cummins CR (04-02-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 12:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb359 View Post
Edge has safety backdown feature that watches your egt's, trans or clutch for slippage, and coolent temp. It will back off your power if it sees your truck going close to harm and the threshold are adjusable (or defeatable) by you. Smarty has NO safety feature! Edge has gauges built in. Smarty does not! Edge can be found in the classifieds for $300-$400. Smarty is almost double that, and you still need hundreds of dollars worth of gauges! Smaty has been known to lock up ecm's! Edge has no history of this. Dealer can wipe your tune off your truck unknowingly with smarty. They cant do that wirh edge. Now Smarty supporters will talk about all the tuning options you get with Smarty. It is true, but they have NO capability to truly change tunes on the fly! Edge does. Smarty guys say ( wrongfuly) how HOT edge runs (refering to high egt's), and how they can use the smarty's vast tuning capabilities to tune down thier egt's. What they are missing is you can turn down the high torque yeilding low boost fueling with edge also! Edge calls it throttle responce and it is adjustible, levels 1-5 ( lvl1=no smoke or low torque, lvl2=low smoke, lvl3=average, better throttle responce, lvl5= best throttle responce or higest possable egts and most smoke) in all power levels1-5 (1=better fuel milage, 2=towing, 3=drive, 4=race, 5=extreme, and a optional lvl6=hot unlock 200hp+). Thats a total of 30 tunes you can choose from, pluse the stock setting! All completly adjustable at ANY time you want, with just a touch of a button instantly no matter what your doing. Smarty does have a 230hp tune that does trump edge, but it is so hot its hardly usable. Smarty can be used as a scan tool, were edge juice with additude can not ( i bought a scan tool at my local auto parts store for $60). My vote is for EDGE! Good Luck!

Sent from my LS670 using AutoGuide.com App
Wow! That is a lot of info! But very helpful... The OP is my buddy and we have been lookin into this lately. That is some good info. Anyone have any comments on the quadzillas?

Cummins CR (04-02-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quadzilla is crap and breaks from personal experience. I will NEVER buy another one. & many of my friends agree that have ran one.
Connor Trahan is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Connor Trahan For This Useful Post:
Cummins CR (04-02-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 01:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I have had the Edge Juice w Att and currently run a Smarty w gauges. Im sticking w the Smarty. The Edge is a good box, for beginners.
DieselPlower is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to DieselPlower For This Useful Post:
Cummins CR (04-02-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I also have run both. If buying new, edge costs the same as smarty with gauges. I bought my smarty brand new & got it for $550 to my door, just have to shop around. As far as the edge gauges, they are not as accurate as real gauges, but they are close enough to be safe. The edge is nice for its on the fly adjustability, which can sorta be done with a smarty (by using the POD feature) but its not really the same thing. The edge seemed to tow better on the tow setting than the smarty but maybe I just haven't found the correct smarty setting yet. The smarty is a lot more customizable, meaning that if you ever plan on really hopping up the truck, it will be better for you. It can turn off certain things in the computer such as the electronic wastegate on 04.5 & newer trucks & the over boost codes on 03,04 trucks. These are essential if you ever go to an aftermarket turbo. Edge cannot do this. Finally, as far as all out power, the smarty definitely has more! I didn't have the hot unlock on my edge, but even on lower settings with the smarty, I feel it has better throttle response & better mileage too. One other thing about the smarty is you get free software updates for life on their website, & can even switch over to TNT-R for free if you get mod crazy. It may sound like I'm on the smarty side, but I'm really not. I like them both, they just have pros & cons & since I have used both, I thought maybe I could enlighten you to them.
05 white QCSB SLT, G56, 2" Lift, Bilstein 5100's, 35x12.50-17 Procomp Xtreme All Terrains on Laramie wheels, 4" Exhaust, S&B intake, Phantom II Boost & Pyro, Smarty so-6, Airdog II, Industrial 60HP dragon flies
Team Willys is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Team Willys For This Useful Post:
Cummins CR (04-02-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Wow this is why I like other peoples opinions on This kinda stuf I'm stil not sure what I'm gonna do yet but Thanks for your help guys!
Cummins CR is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

just wondering what about E.F.I. Live great info.
joesdodges is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to joesdodges For This Useful Post:
Cummins CR (04-02-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.