Join Date: May 2009
Location: Duncanville, TX
Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
One of the first deficiencies I discovered, via this board, is the fan clutch pigtail assembly issues. Upon inspection, I found the pigtail assembly on my truck mangled and loose, but not yet totally destroyed. As indicated by papaduck, if there are wires still sticking out of the fan clutch, you can splice on additional wire and add the original connector(if it still exists!) and you're back in business. Do a quality couple of splices ( solder with shrink wrap and maybe a little spray waterproofing) to extend the wiring/pigtail down to where the original connector is located. If the original connector is destroyed, you can use a small trailer connector and change the connector on the frame/original wiring harness to match. "Weathertight" connections would be the "best/factory" way to go, but most hobbiest/part-time/shadetree guys haven't gotten to those yet(I think). The biggest issue is, after it is repaired, how to keep it from happening again, since the factory method for fastening the wiring pigtail is pitifull! Here is how I fastened mine after repairing the wiring aspect ( I've learned a "quick/it'll do for now" repair will always come back to "bite me", so I'm getting kinda focused on fixing stuff only once as I get older)! I taped the pigtail wires together with two layers of vinyl tape which made the wires/pigtail stiff. I layed the wiring in the small trough designed to hold the wires in the shroud. I then took a piece of 1/16" thick aluminum and cut a couple of small strips, drilled small holes in the strips, drilled matching holes in the edge of the shroud trough and attached the strips over the wiring to the shroud with SS nuts, bolts and lock washers to "capture" the wiring in the trough. At first i figured I'd just use tie-wraps, but, you know with the heat off the radiator and engine, they would get brittle and break. Maybe that's what the factory used and we know how well that worked! The repair/re-engineer was several years ago and is still rock solid. I can attempt to post a picture if anyone is interested. It takes a little time do do this repair/re-engineer, but then your done and it is a heck of a lot cheaper than putting on a new fan clutch, and if the wiring/fastening issues are not addressed, it'll be happening again! Good luck
2003 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab, 2WD, DRW, 5.9 Cummins, stock(I'm learning as fast as I can!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), 6 speed, flatbed.
1995 Ford F800, 5.9 Cummins, 5 sp Spicer, 10' flatbed (gonna replace the 93 F350, but I haven't told the F350 that yet!)
1993 Ford F350, 7.3 IDI PS, built auto, gooseneck puller