06 Rough idle - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
06 Rough idle

have an 06 cummins with a rough idle truck has no trouble starting no codes had injector drop test performed and all dropped the same... smoothes out when driving or at 1000+ rpms looking at the engine at idle the truck shakes more than the engine... can hear a slight knocking coming from bottom towards back of engine but changes pitch when pushing in the clutch... was told truck has a dual mass fly wheel i think thats what it was called and heard that they get out of balance and cause similar symtoms. any one else agree or have any other ideas to what else could be the problem have had this issue for about 2 years also have had a smarty on it and it didnt seem to make a difference with a chip at all. any ideas would be appreciated
Cumminmopar is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I had a similar thing and it turned out to be the harmonic balancer just a thought.
2006 4x4 quad cab 2500 slt, tunnel ram intake plate, w/horn and heated air delete, 48re, billet tc, heavy duty shafts, smarty s06 pod, afe intake air filter and torque tube, silencer ring mia, 5in straight pipe. Iss pro pyro, boost,air dog 100, low fuel press led.
gordy michael is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Im having this same rough idle issue and when I rev it up it sputters and slowly rpms drop. Other then that its smooth in higher rpms just as yours.Everything has been serviced/inspeced on mine so I am curious what other have found also.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Good luck!

There are springs in the dual mass that wear out mine were but that didnt fix it. Just did injectors too, but my truck was down so long i forgot what normal was.
Check ac wires?
Fca?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
i have talk to sheid diesel industrial beans diesel and several other and they all agree injectors my truck has all the same issues and sometimes it runs really well no white smoke ever and smoothes out around a thousand if i rev it up is slow to return to idle as if it almost bounces back to idle something else you guys should watch is your tach on start up mine will be below idle then i rev it up and it moves up a bit closer to idle but my truck does sit all week since i have a work truck.my truck has 115,000 they all say that around 135,000to 150,000 you start having return rate issues with the injectors everybody varies a bit but all agree on injectors.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

hey i just got my 06 6 speed stnd. in sep. and had the same exact thing happening, pulled the trans and found my flywheel was screwed! The springs in there where so worn out it was unreal! for some reason, that makes no since on a diesel, they put springs in the stock flywheel and with that much torque they wear out fast... i only had 89K and they where worn out.... i went with a valair dual disk (kinda wish i had a single now due to bein noisey) came with new flywheel, bearings, clutch.... You dont want to put off changing your flywheel/clutch due to it can come apart and destroy you trans., bellhousing, and possibley your block.... not to mention the toll its taking on your crank and bearings... You can just change your flywheel but might as well change your clutch and all.... more cost/time effective....but btmn line id bet money its ur flywheel.... (and fyi i didnt belive the first 3 ppl that told me this)
Old 03-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminmopar View Post
have an 06 cummins with a rough idle truck has no trouble starting no codes had injector drop test performed and all dropped the same... smoothes out when driving or at 1000+ rpms looking at the engine at idle the truck shakes more than the engine... can hear a slight knocking coming from bottom towards back of engine but changes pitch when pushing in the clutch... was told truck has a dual mass fly wheel i think thats what it was called and heard that they get out of balance and cause similar symtoms. any one else agree or have any other ideas to what else could be the problem have had this issue for about 2 years also have had a smarty on it and it didnt seem to make a difference with a chip at all. any ideas would be appreciated
Your clutch is smoked, mine did the exact same thing. Get a new clutch, preferably South Bend or Valair, before it takes out your transmission case.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

My 06 idled rough when the fuel filter got to dirty... i run marked diesel so the dye plugs it up
intercooled is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I agree, it's sounds like your flywheel is coming apart. I had 2 buddy's with 06 trucks that both had the flywheel problem.new flywheel and clutches did the trick.
2007 2500,5.9,4x4,QCLB,6" on 37's,cal tracs,1 piece aluminum shaft,full billet sun coast,lock up switch,DDP 90's Arson 3,fass 150,fuel sump,5" flo pro,afe stg 2,factory match autometers, color matched plastics, EFI With CSP5
02smokin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I know this wont help but i too had the rough idle and replaced the clutch, yes the spring were wore but didnt fix it. Had 3 injectors fail the test. Truck ran fine other the the slight rough idle...

If id do it over again i send injectors to exergy FIRST, spent over $5500 in clutch, jectos, arson (thought it was FCA, if not is upgraded)
Test fees, dealer test fees, rail guage......
Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

I too have rough idle, 06 2500 with 6 spd., knock toward back of mtr. Diesel runs good 1000rpm and up, is clutch the problem?
Bolted dodge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

If the noise changes when you push in the clutch, then YES. It is a clutch issue.

If you have a rough idle with slight knocking noise and it doesn't change when you push in the clutch pedal then it is most commonly injectors.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.