Transmission issue - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Transmission issue

Hi everyone, I have a '07 5.9 2500 auto and it's having issues going from first to second gear. It revs up and down as its trying to shift. Not real bad, but noticeable. I got the trany fluid changed and the magnet inside was full of shavings. I'm assuming the transmission needs to be rebuilt, but until that happens I have fuel economy concerns. I've had the truck for a year, got a chip put in and am still getting about 12 MPG. Are the two related? Thanks a lot.
Ryanbumgardner is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Well 12 doesnt sound that good and do you have any upgrades to your tranny? It mite have to much power for a stock trans also.
2006 4x4 quad cab 2500 slt, tunnel ram intake plate, w/horn and heated air delete, 48re, billet tc, heavy duty shafts, smarty s06 pod, afe intake air filter and torque tube, silencer ring mia, 5in straight pipe. Iss pro pyro, boost,air dog 100, low fuel press led.
gordy michael is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

It does sound like your tranny is going out. If your tanny is having problems it will effect your fuel economey.
Former Marine. 2004.5 QCSB, ATS stage 4 tranny, Edge juice CTS, Banks high ram, Amsoil EaAU4510 air filter , intake muffler MIA, turbo silencer ring MIA, strait thru muffler, issopro guages, firestone air bags, on board air compressor with 5 gal air tank, train horns.
CumminsDieselSoot is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

The trany is stock and thanks for the info guys. Any idea what a rebuild runs? $1-2k is my guess...?
Ryanbumgardner is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

$3000+ for a good HD rebuild
Old 03-05-2012, 03:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
My truck was doing that, seemed like it was slipping...it would start out in 2nd gear. It was the Pressure governor solenoid/transducer.

I did not have excessive shavings on my magnet though, it was pretty damn clean!

Matt.k is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

you dont need a re-build!

You need a borge warner selenoid and pressure sensoe. Also a solid state servo and 12 quarts of new fluid. You can do all the work from home if your comfortable removing your valve body. While your at it, add an oversized pan and temp guage. The total cost is about $500. I just did it. PM me with q's if you need. Here's a helpful link.

Borg Warner Governor Solenoid for 42-48 RE Transmissions
07 2500 SLT-Long Bed, 5.9L H.O., 2WD, 2.5" level kit, Diablo Sport Programmer, Cat Delete, Magnaflo Muffler, K&N Cold Intake, Built up Valve Body, aFe diff cover, 256:1 2-Stroke Mix, B&M trans Pan, functional hood intake.
Mutch79 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutch79 View Post
You need a borge warner selenoid and pressure sensoe. Also a solid state servo and 12 quarts of new fluid. You can do all the work from home if your comfortable removing your valve body. While your at it, add an oversized pan and temp guage. The total cost is about $500. I just did it. PM me with q's if you need. Here's a helpful link.

Borg Warner Governor Solenoid for 42-48 RE Transmissions
is a oversize pan necessary for the new selonoid ?
hendo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

the reason why i am asking is because i am having problems with my tranny
going from 1st to second my revs have to hit 3500 rpms before it shifts into second ,i added fluid as it was a little low but still the same added more fluid and it has problems going into overdrive ,so i have to get some fluid out
my intention is not to hyjack a thread but the problem maybe the same
any help will be appreciated
Old 06-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
*MIC DROPPER*

Thanked 1,225 Times in 909 Posts
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
change the governor pressure solenoid and transducer first
Firepunk Comp 2
TUNED BY INNOVATIVE
Built Not Bought
10.80@128.3fuel only 990hp
New Video of the truck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUrk...l96AvJ1Op4evJA
06 5.9 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Its not necessary for the solenoid, but a larger pan will allow you to put more fluid which will help keep your trans at a lower temp than a stock pan and stock fluid amounts. My truck is in the shop here in AK right now getting built(minus shafts) I dont plan on doing boosted launches or sled pulls atm. The rebuild kit for mine is 3 grand. Youll wanna upgrade to the billet band and band struts. Get the upgraded solenoids like the previous dude stated and youll be good to roll man
Old 06-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 5.9 View Post
change the governor pressure solenoid and transducer first
thanks for the advise i will try that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.