NV5600 problems - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
NV5600 problems

Hello whenever it is cold out the first time i go through all gears in the morning 3rd and 5 doesnt really grind its just a little hard to go in but when the transmission is warm its fine. what could this be? Also reverse has been having problems its kinda hard to go into gear sometime. my truck only has 110,000 miles on it so i would think my tranny wouldnt be worn out.
2001 dodge cummins 5 speed 4x4, extcab shortbed, white, 5 inch exhaust, moto metal 951's, new injection pump and raptor 100 ,autometer gauges fuel,egt,boost, edge drag comp, bd stealth plate, southbend clutch.
white04dodgecummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Mine is kind of hard to shift and grinds 2-3 when cold, smooth as butter when it's warm. When was the last time you changed oil in it? I'd suggest changing it, pulling the left PTO cover and cleaning the magnet in the bottom of the case. Personally I run the amsoil synchromesh, but there are tons of threads about that subject.
03 2500, 6 spd, 4x4, leveled, 315-70R-17's, BHAF, A-1 studs, Hamilton 181/210, SMARTY, Amsoil bypass,ATS exh man., Fluidampr, Airdog, 09 steering, KC's on top, DDP 50HP Inj's, Garrett Stg 2, Jake Brake, OASIS XD4000, 10 gals of tanks, shocker XL's
lmeyer9916 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

yeah mine does the same thing.. i have to shift into 5th gear before going into reverse all the time or it will grind... but as smooth as butter you say? how so? mine is hard to get into 2nd when sitting at a light. from neutral to 2nd to start off... weird... any thoughts? i have already changed the oil and cleaned the magnet i just dont know what else i could try... also call dodge to see what oil to put in it cause the parts store will try and tell you some atf4 and thats not it... its a heavy duty oil thats about 20$ a quart
2003 Dodge 3500, 6sp, banks 4in turbo back,AD 165, banks monster ram, S&B intake, banks wastegate, AutoMeter, Smarty ,II bag of parts, ddp 90, southbend dd, bw flares, dual shock stabl, steering box stabl, Nfab, ballistic, duratrac, weedahoe
Stew Pudasoe is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Same issue here. Amsoil seemed to help. The syncros in the transmissions are usually the issue. I have learned to deal with it instead of paying the $500 for a syncro kit or $900 for the bearing and syncro rebuild kit. I will wait until they completely give up and they I will do a full rebuild
Old 02-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

redline makes a 70w 80 gear oil which is made for the nv5600 Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - MTL 70W80 GL-4 Gear Oil
its a little heavier and makes shifting a trany with a few more miles on it a little easer
2005, NV5600, 5 inch exhaust, DiPricol EGT,BP,DP,FP,RP,TRANS TEMP, Odyssey batt, AFE Mega cannon, Airdog II 165, Smarty, 2" lift, 315-70-17 duratracs,Valair DD, HE351VGT W/Fleece box, ARP, 110 spring, HD push rods, Pusher intake, batmo, Exergy
1998 QCLB 12V Auto some what built, KDP fixed, 0 fuel plate, turned up pump, Isspro EGT,BP,DP,FP,TRANS TEMP
for sale, diamond plate truck tool boxes, in bed truck hoist, stock 3 gen exhaust manifold, 2 gen ABS dash
cumminspwr05 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

i have the same problem with reverse, have to stick in in first or just hold a little pressure on it in reverse and wait a few seconds for it to slip in, then goes in all the way as i start to release the clutch. my tranny only has 70k on it, but im pretty sure the synchros are bad. i agree, ive just learned to deal with it haha.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Its reverse. Mine has been out for.almost 120k miles(have 142k now) I just deal with it.

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24v-Mason View Post
Cummins Forum, building confidence, ego, self esteem and stalking one girl at a time...
The God Father is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

I just double clutch or float so that i dont really care how worn my syncros are.

And for the guys haveing trouble with reverse That should not be an issue. Just slip it in 5th before reverse. The gearing to the sycros gives the 5th gear sycro more leverage to slow the shafts down. NBD
Old 02-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Yeah i hardly use my clutch anyways just taking off and reverse obviously.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

The NV5600 is supposed to take a 5w-30 synchromesh fluid, not a 70-80 grear oil. Amsoil and Mopar are your only options. Mine does the same thing. I push the clutch in and hold it for about 4-5 sec then it will usually shift right into gear. I will also act like I'm puting it into 1st gear then slide it right into 2nd. There clanky clunk HD tranny's. Learn to live with it.
03 HO, 4.5 Fabtech lift, Pro Comp M/T 35's, NV5600, All Amsoil fluids with a BMK-21 Bypass, Edge J/A, K&N intake with Amsoil Air filter, Banks 4" turbo back, Bak Flip bed cover, FASS 150,CAUSE REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARK PLUGS
Ram'n It is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Wow, didn't know everyone else has similar problems! How many of you guys start off in 3rd? I sometimes start off in 3rd and then shift to 5th then 6th.

What's the low down with the Gorrila Juice? Good or bad?
2004.0 Dodge Ram 2500,Stock 5.9L Diesel H.O. 305HP/555lb.ft ,6-speed NV5600, 2WD,2" front level, Frantz oil bypass, Cat 1R-0479 fuel filter under the intake, Baldwin BF1212 filter under the truck, Smarty S06 programmer,revo tune,Issopro FP,ETG,Boost gauges
Jbremount is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Gorilla juice is good for the G56, not sure if they make some for the 5600.

Nope I rarely start in third. Just a heads up, just cause an oil makes you NV shift like butter doesn't mean its good for it. If its not the right lubicity it will wear the scyros out while it seems to shift really smooth for a few thousand miles. I put LSD additive in mine to go easy on the sycros but it certainly didn't make it shift smoother if your trying to drive it like a car. The only time it drives like a car is when its cold and the oil is so thick it slows down the countershaft about the same speed the engine spins down. The rest of the time I'm double clutching or floating.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.