Transfer case gears grinding when put into 4x4 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Transfer case gears grinding when put into 4x4

I purchased a 2006 dodge 4x4 2500 and I am having a problem putting it into 4 low while the vehicle is stopped. The truck does not have the 4x4 electronic selector switch on the dash board, it is done entirely with a gear shift lever on the floor board. The owners manuel states how to do it while moving 2 - 3 miles per hr but is confusing about putting it into 4x4 from a dead stop. I tried stopping the truck, putting the truck transmission into neutral and waiting 10 - 20 seconds. I then attempted to put it into 4 low but the grinding was very loud. Was this truck only ment to be placed into 4 low while it was moving slowly?
Deepsea29c is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Do it while you are just barely rolling or shut the truck off.
Retired Navy Chief - Vanilla 04 2500 QCSB, 4x4, 48RE w/MagHytec DD, Smarty Jr, HOG 4" Exh, Modded Air Box, Isspro Gauges, Quadzilla RPG w/fuel pressure, DynaTrac front, Coolant By-Pass Filter - B&W Turnoverball w/Companion 5vr hitch
NavyDood is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

It's best to be moving slightly when shifting ANY manual transfer case.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

The transmission shifts into 4x4 fine while the truck is barely rolling I just walked in my garage, got into the truck ( engine not running ) and attempted to shift it into 4 low. It would not go into 4 low. Are the gears just not lined up enough while the truck is in the off position.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsea29c View Post
It would not go into 4 low. Are the gears just not lined up enough while the truck is in the off position.
I have had trucks that flat refuse to go into 4LO when not running and I have had trucks that would slide in anytime. My Dodge is "in between". if you mess with the TC shifter a little and pull it hard enough, it will engage 4LO when the engine is not running. Yes, I think it's just the position of the gears.

From when I was just a lad I learned to always have a little movement of the drive-train (forward or reverse) before attempting 4LO (with a manual 'box) - so, that's how I always do it.

Last edited by jay_rm; 02-08-2012 at 02:23 PM.
jay_rm is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

So if I am understanding everyone correctly, my 4x4 set up is truly manuel and therefore it is not designed to be put into 4 low while the truck is in the stopped position ( motor running ) and truck transmission in neutral.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

As far as I know, if you have a 2006 with manual transmission and a shift lever for the TC, it is truly a manual set-up - no fancy electric doo-dads. If I'm incorrect, somebody say something
Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

I forgot to mention that the truck has an autimatic transmission
Old 02-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I'll try and make this easy.
When going from 2wd > 4wd hi the TCASE is not going through neutral. The gear train is already in gear and only engaeing thefront driveshaft.
When going to 4wd LO you have to shift through neutral which disengages ALL the geartrain in the tcase. IFit sfifts into 4wd LO when not moving it nothing but luck that the gears lined up. Same for going from 4wd lo back to 4wd hi.
Easiest way to go from 2wd/4hi to 4lo is get rolling (slowly) shift the TRANS into neutral shift the tcase and put the trans back into gear. same for going back from 4lo to 2wd/4hi.
2wd to 4wd hi (or visa versa) roll, shift, go.
Foot off the loud pedal always.

Cliff notes version:
roll, trans neutral, shift tcase, trans back in gear, go
Old 02-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Maybe I've always shifted into 4Low the wrong way but I've always put the transmission into park and then tried to shift into 4Low. Usually automatic transmission, when put in neutral, will have some residual output shaft rotation. That is what is causing the grinding when you try to shift into 4Low. You shift your T-case into neutral which breaks the connection between your brakes and your transmission. Without the brakes the output shaft will start turning. If you shift into park the transmission will not allow the output shaft to turn and you can safely shift your T-case into neutral and then into 4Low, if you're lined up properly. Like rdefayette said, it's nothing but luck that the gears lined up. If, by chance, your gears aren't lined up just shift back into 2WD and roll forward or backwards a foot or so and try again.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

i guess all this confusion is why they put instructions in the owners manual telling you exactly how to do it.(if all else fails read the instructions) funny they work perfect too.
carlsonr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Wow what a difference in shifting into 4lo... You are reducing your gears when going into 4lo I don't understand why you would want to be rolling... From 2hi to 4hi your not changing your gear ratio so it's ok to do it on the fly... Going from 2hi to 4lo always stop and put transmission in neutral.
02 QCSB 6 Speed|215 P-Pump 600cc 28*|64/S480|SAC 7x12|131 DVs|AD150|Colt 181|HD Push Rods & Springs|ARP/O-Ringed Head|Fluidampr|Valair Tripple Disk|.084 Lines/Tubes|Tunnel Ram|CFM+|Water/Meth|6"Miter|Dana60/80|4.88|True Trac|35" Toyo MT's|
Smourj21 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.