VP Max Additional Fuel Filter Install & Leaky Fittings - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
VP Max Additional Fuel Filter Install & Leaky Fittings

Posted this at the end of one of the on-going threads but thought I might post it again in its own thread..

Installed my VP Max system today and can't seem to get the fittings to stop leaking (all of them)...

First tried them not Super tight, that didn't work so I tightened them just about as tight as I could and they are still leaking. Do I need to put thread sealant on all of them? If so, what do I need to use? Would standard teflon tape work or should I use the Permatex #59214 High Temp Thread Sealant I used on the fittings I installed in the base?

Thanks!!
05 QCLB Laramie, NV5600, 4x4, 4.10's, SRW, EV2 Pyro, Boost & Fuel Pressure, Smarty Jr, Transfer Flow 74gal Fuel Cell, Aero 4040XL, VP MAX, 2" HBS Level, Thuren Adj. Track Bar, Bilstein, Ride Rites, XD Bomb 18x9 with 295 Toyo MT's, CD Steering Brace, Max Brake
Mallardman007 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Teflon tape will work just fine. That permatex stuff is pretty slick though
Old 02-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Be sure to use the yellow teflon tape, it is to used with hydrocarbons.

I had to use the tape on some of my fittings. I left 1 to 2 threads uncovered at the leading edge to make sure that some of the tape did not get cut loose and enter the fuel system.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Thanks for the replies! Are there different variations of the yellow teflon tape? I see there is some yellow that says for natural gas, and other yellow that says that it is good for oil and chemicals... are they the same?

Thanks again
05 QCLB Laramie, NV5600, 4x4, 4.10's, SRW, EV2 Pyro, Boost & Fuel Pressure, Smarty Jr, Transfer Flow 74gal Fuel Cell, Aero 4040XL, VP MAX, 2" HBS Level, Thuren Adj. Track Bar, Bilstein, Ride Rites, XD Bomb 18x9 with 295 Toyo MT's, CD Steering Brace, Max Brake
Old 02-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

They are the same.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I installed the Vulcan Performance kit and do not have a single leak. The 4 fittings provided have rubber o-rings and washers that seal. The fittings are designed to not leak if installed properly. IMO, I would 100% not want to chance getting any foreign matter in my CP3. I would call Vulcan Performance for technical help. Maybe you got the wrong oil filter base or wrong fittings if it does not seal as designed.

Just my opinion as mine worked perfectly and I cannot imagine how yours is leaking unless you have the wrong fittings for the base.
2004.0 Dodge Ram 2500,Stock 5.9L Diesel H.O. 305HP/555lb.ft ,6-speed NV5600, 2WD,2" front level, Frantz oil bypass, Cat 1R-0479 fuel filter under the intake, Baldwin BF1212 filter under the truck, Smarty S06 programmer,revo tune,Issopro FP,ETG,Boost gauges

Last edited by Jbremount; 02-07-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Jbremount is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I called Vulcan yesterday and Eric said that this was very uncommon and since I only used one wrench to install the 90's rather than 2 (one on the male side and one on the 90) that maybe I didnt get the 90 tight enough to seal properly. I am confident this is user error, not the products so I am hoping to get to it today and tighten them up...

Thanks for suggestions.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Took the fittings apart and reinstalled with no leaks! No teflon tape needed! Thanks again!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallardman007 View Post
Took the fittings apart and reinstalled with no leaks! No teflon tape needed! Thanks again!

Good Deal!
2004.0 Dodge Ram 2500,Stock 5.9L Diesel H.O. 305HP/555lb.ft ,6-speed NV5600, 2WD,2" front level, Frantz oil bypass, Cat 1R-0479 fuel filter under the intake, Baldwin BF1212 filter under the truck, Smarty S06 programmer,revo tune,Issopro FP,ETG,Boost gauges
Jbremount is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.