04.5 Dodge 3500 transmission problems - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
04.5 Dodge 3500 transmission problems

I have an 04.5 Dodge 3500 automatic with 110k on it. Everything is stock other than turbo back MBRP exhaust and new TPS. Just recently had the transmission oil changed and new u-joints put in. The mechanic said the transmission oil smelt pretty burnt. We took a trip down to TX (over 1000 miles) to pick up a new horse trailer with LQ (weighs around 13k lbs). On our way back north the transmission started shuttering and slipping. On start up from a stop it would shutter even in 2nd or 3rd. It seemed to be working a lot harder than it should have been and had little power. The fuel mileage dropped off greatly! We should have been getting 14mpg easy but instead we were probably getting less than 8mpg! We used 100gal more on the trip back then we should have. Does this sound like the torque converter? What would be the best option for us to beef up our transmission for over the road hauling? We don't have a ton of money but know we need to do something! We want smooth shifting, be able to pull at 70mph, and power to easily pull 20k lb load. New TC and possibly new VB? Which ones would be our best option? Thanks!
04Ramdsldually is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Exact same problem

I do a fair bit of heavy hauling with 12 thou gross trailer. 2003 stock 3500, 119 thou miles, just started shuddering in first on startup aft slightly brown not much smell. Milage has fallen off. Is there a quick fix to head off future trouble? I'm about to take off for 600 mile trip to haul machinery. Trans shop said come back when it gets worst, doest sound
Ike good advice to me. Any good advice out the?
Microhydro is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

You guys might be good candidates for a dtt single disk tc. And yes id go with a modified valve body as well.
DieselPlower is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry I dont know what this means.Please explain and let me know what kind of shop does this work. Thanks
Old 02-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselPlower View Post
You guys might be good candidates for a dtt single disk tc. And yes id go with a modified valve body as well.
I agree with Dieselplower your not getting your power to the ground because your getting slippage through your transmission, you need an upgraded Valvebody to increase line pressure in your transmission to hold what's left of your clutches together so they don't slip! Also a better Torque converter to control your fluid coupling that transfers the power into movement! Revmax Transmission has some great parts for a working mans wages!

B0TTSR brother of PA chapter
sportster1208 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microhydro View Post
Sorry I dont know what this means.Please explain and let me know what kind of shop does this work. Thanks
DTT Single disk, how good are they?

Try that thread. Info on dtt single disk tc's and a guy from their company posting there. Maybe send him a pm?
DieselPlower is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

trans shudder

Thanks - I'll check it out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.