Leak from front of engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Leak from front of engine

hey guys. this morning, as i usually do, i looked under the the truck when i walked out to the garage. this morning, i saw a leak under the front of the engine.

it was too thin to be oil, and too dark to be coolant. its coming from the front passenger side of the engine. if i look up the side of the block between the ac compressor bracket and the block, i can see where it looks like it's leaking. (don't ask me what color it was, i'm color blind, but it looked like a red-brownish lol. on a dirty floor too).

the puddle this morning was about the size of a golf ball.

as always, thanks for the help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

That area is notorious for a water pump leak. The coolant in these trucks is red from the factory. I bet thats your problem. Like 99% sure. Hope that helps!
Old 12-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Yep, mine started the exact same way/scenario. about a week later she blew coolant everywhere because I kept putting it off

Mine went at around 70k, Ive heard of them going a lot earlier too
Old 12-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

thanks guys.. hopefully i'll have mine fixed this week. i have around 115k on her right now, so it lasted a little longer than yours moochoff, if that is truely what it is. goin to a dodge expert friend tomorrow
Old 12-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cup of coolant per week

I know...old thread. I have the tell-tale signs of my water pump starting to give way. I have an 04.5 CTD with 170k. The leak is very hard to detect from up top or underneath. Here's a couple pictures (I have to zoom way in to see the leak). Can anyone confirm its from the water pump?

Max Headroom is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

hey max, thread isn't to old lol. i haven't fixed mine yet, and its leaking from the same area, just a few drops over night for me.
since i haven't fixed it, i can't tell you 100% that's what mine is; but the fluid is coolant, the guys above have seen the same thing when their pumps have started to leak, and my dodge-expert friend said its the water pump- so i'm 99.99% sure.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

You sure it isn't the coolant by-pass line that runs between the manifold and the block? The hose shrinks with the cooler weather and you have to tighten the bottom clamp as it runs down the line and onto the housing of the tranny. For whatever reason, there is a short 3 - 4" hose that connects the two lines and the clamps have to be retightened.

Mine did the same thing about 6 weeks ago and a quick tighten and it is all good. Not sure if it is the same area but it may be worth a second look. Sounds like the same area. There are some other threads you can look up that describe this issue.

Last edited by nismod05; 12-30-2011 at 04:59 PM.
nismod05 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

positive. i tightened mine once last year and again this year, but the leak is in front dripping off the block by the bracket for the a/c compressor
Old 12-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismod05 View Post
You sure it isn't the coolant by-pass line that runs between the manifold and the block? The hose shrinks with the cooler weather and you have to tighten the bottom clamp as it runs down the line and onto the housing of the tranny. For whatever reason, there is a short 3 - 4" hose that connects the two lines and the clamps have to be retightened.
I read the main thread regarding that tube and the problems people have. I checked my truck and found the rubber tube connecting two lines together. I have the spring clips and the tube is not leaking. Both sides of the engine block are dry as a bone. My coolant is leaking from the right front. I can just see a little bit of moisture just below the water pump. See picture and zoom in. I'm only loosing about a cup per week.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I noticed that mine was starting to leak. Didn't drive it and got a replacement. After getting it off found the bearings were starting to go. Glad I didn't drive it and have it come apart and loose the belt and most of the coolant that I had changed only a few months before.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaduck View Post
I noticed that mine was starting to leak. Didn't drive it and got a replacement. After getting it off found the bearings were starting to go. Glad I didn't drive it and have it come apart and loose the belt and most of the coolant that I had changed only a few months before.
Yep, good advice. Soon as you see the pump starting to seep it's a ticking time bomb. The anti-freeze gets into the water pump bearings and destroys them pretty quickly. I had a slight belt squeak I could hear first start of the day and just assumed it's soon time for a new belt. Two weeks later the pump just started making awfull noise and coolant was raining out.....just lucky I was close to home. Change your waterpump or you may end up with an expensive tow.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

I changed the water pump

Went to NAPA. They're closed on Sundays. Went to Bennett Auto Parts. They had a Chinese pump. Went to Advanced Discount Auto Parts. The pump looked really cheaply built. Went to Carquest and the salesman pissed me off. The seal in the carquest labeled part was round and didn't fit at all in the pump. Went to Autozone and looked at the Duralast. I bought the Duralast for $51 with a limited lifetime guarantee. Here's my experience.

1) the belt tensioner was unexpectedly sprung pretty tight.
2) working conditions are quite tight.
3) drained and saved the factory red antifreeze (it was really clean)
4) two bolts (used a short 10 mm box end wrench)
5) popped off the old pump in less than an hour.
6) had to remove the upper fan shroud bolt to wriggle the pump out.
7) installation went in just as it came out. Torqued the bolts to 18 ft-lbs

Running good with no leaks yet. Will see tomorrow.

Top view shows the castings are similar. the shaft sticks out a little from the Duralast, but it's not a problem. Duralast pump is made in Mexico

Strange modification to the impeller (above and below). Looks like a slinger. Not sure what to think about that. Note the weep hole in the OEM pump. I definitely didnt like that.

Pulleys are the same size.

Here's the weep hole difference. The OEM weeps onto the deck just below the pump and makes a mess. I hope when the duralast goes, It will drip straight to the ground. And when it goes, I'll have a brand new one from Autozone under warrantee.

Last edited by Max Headroom; 01-08-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.