Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2003 5.9---->6.7 swap thread

180K views 256 replies 97 participants last post by  Cummins_stalker 
#1 ·
Alrighty, figure I'll get this thing started.

Some on here are aware, but for those that aren't, back in July I apparently lost the oil pump in my 03 and tossed a rod through the block. Perfect timing, as it was roughly 3 months after my 07 got back up and running from an engine rebuild. These Common Rails are.......expensive.:doh: :hehe:

So today I bought an 07 6.7 with 107,000 miles on it from a salvage yard. It should arrive here Monday or Tuesday. 90 day guarantee, ran for a half hour by the yard before put up for sale. Should arrive with everything except the front accessories and starter.

So far the list on top of the engine:

-Fleece Performance VNT controller
-5" Flo-Pro exhaust w/tip
-S&B cold air intake
-Edge Insite CTS and EGT probe, plus mounting.
-Intake horn*
-EGR cooler block off plates*
-3.5" boost tube*
-CCV vent*. I'm going to look into loosing the filter under the cover.
-ARP headstuds*, which seem to be sold out everywhere I looked for some reason. (* are yet to be ordered)

I intend to show everything involved in this swap, as there seems to be a lot of misinformation and mystery still surrounding the swap. Accompanied by pics of course. Hopefully it's as easy as I think it is

See less See more
Reactions: linexmatt
#2 ·
I've been waiting for this thread. I'm tuned in for photos. :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#7 ·
The swap candidate

Yep, stock and BORING. That'll change after it gets a Sport conversion, Electric Blue paintjob, tinted, and leveled and 20's/35's:drool2:

#8 ·
Since the engine will already be out of the truck how about a set of billet connecting rods. :stirpot: I keep reading about broken stock 6.7 connecting rods.

#11 ·
Interesting i will stay tuned!

#19 ·

Looks pretty clean. But there's an aweful lot of chit that needs to come off:hehe:

The Fleece controller is here, the EGR cooler plates, intake horn, boost tube, a new CCV filter, and CCV vent, intake and exhaust, is all here. Just need to yank the 5.9, set them side-by-side, and then I'll know exactly what differences I'm looking at.

#129 ·
yea no kidding...i love the pull start in the first pic...thats a great option.

#23 ·
Thank ya:thumbsup:

Yeah, there's some differences for sure. The 6.7 has shields a 5.9 doesn't (right by the turbo and also behind the fuel filter bowl), and coolant lines going all over the place:hehe:. And I want to say the front drive stuff is slightly different as well, but I won't know for sure until I get them sitting side-by-side.

This is the first time I've actually inspected one, other than what little you can see with it under the hood. Hope to have the 5.9 out next week, since I have football to watch, a final to study for, and two papers to write this weekend. But the goal is to be driving it right after Christmas:blues:

#25 ·
Thank ya:thumbsup:

Hope to have the 5.9 out next week, since I have football to watch, a final to study for, and two papers to write this weekend. But the goal is to be driving it right after Christmas:blues:
And here I thought my Boss had an aggressive timeline for projects at work. :hehe::rof:hehe: Can't wait to see the progress.

#26 ·
Yeah, I could have easily had it out this weekend, but those bowl games aren't going to watch themselves.

And gotta see how the Broncos handle New England tomorrow:pray:

#27 ·
Rly tuned in!! My brother hasn't had alot of luck outta his since he started upgraded ! ARP head studs, smarty, mp-8, db disk clutch, egr delete and exhaust. Can't wait to see and hear bout this swap.

Sent from my Milestone X using AutoGuide.Com Free

#29 ·
Yeah, the Denver game...sucked.:doh:

Todays progress in ~3 hours of farting around...

All I have left is to unhook trans, loosen engine mounts, unhook a couple wires, fuel lines and grounds, and pop it out. Hopefully tomorrow I can get that done.

Never fails, everytime I pull an engine I make a massive mess. Managed to not make a major coolant spill, but windshield washer fluid got everywhere before I noticed it. I HATE working in a dirty environment:banghead:

#30 · (Edited)
Got the engine pulled. Last time I pull one with the dang head on:banghead:

You can see the crank journal got pretty warm. Think that backs up my assumption I lost the oil pump

I don't think it'll be on the road as soon as I hoped. I'm going to play it safe and get the injectors checked out. I would HATE to melt a piston because I didn't check them out while I was in there.

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
Got the engine pulled. Last time I pull one with the dang head on:banghead:

You can see the crank journal got pretty warm. Think that backs up my assumption I lost the oil pump

I don't think it'll be on the road as soon as I hoped. I'm going to play it safe and get the injectors checked out. I would HATE to melt a piston because I didn't check them out while I was in there.
Just get some JB weld on it it'll be fiiiine!

#31 ·
Great progress being made.

Are you considering EFI live for a little tuning once it's all together?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.