truck making a grinding noise when turning left over 30 mph - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
truck making a grinding noise when turning left over 30 mph

soo here i am again dumping more money into the truck that i love. this started about 3 days ago i was driving and i was turning left and i heard a loud bang from the front end then that was it so i was like ok maby something flew up under neath the truck. then about 10 min later i made another left turn over 30 mpg and i heard the bang again but this time there was a grinding noise kinda like trying to shift a stick but grinding the gears. and when this happens the truck would start to slow down a bit but then it would stop when i strighten the wheel and everything would be fine. the truck is 4x4 im kinda thinking the cv's? any oppinions help gota pull a trailer 400 miles saturday kinda wana fix it before i go
2005 2500 4x4 auto 18 in kmc wheels, 32X13.5 nitto terra grapplers, D-tech 62mm turbo, superchip, 187k rebuilt 5.9 mighty diesel head bolts flex-a-lite fans, mack air ride seats, women driver love taps in my doors
glowplug is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 12:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

i'm not sure if the front U-joints are classified as cv joints on a solid front axle, it could possible be one, I would start with checking the wheel bearings first, then front u-joints, and possibly the front dif? Its hard to try to diagnose something without actually experiencing or seeing it.
Bootzee612 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Yea it sounds like the axle u joint went out. Just look at it if its the original one and any grease is coming out if the cap area then its time for some new ones.
2004.5 3500 4x4 NV5600, PDR Cam, ARP 425s, industrial injection 60 horse injectors, Raptor 100 fuel pump, DIY 2micron fuel filter system with big line upgrade, HE351 over S475,more brewing SMARTY S06 and UDC fine tuning all of it
mkwelds is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I would not drive it until you have checked it over, I definitely would not haul a trailer 400miles, just imagine the grief your gonna have if something lets go in the front end!

I'm going to bet its a axel u-joint that has failed
Old 11-17-2011, 03:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

It sounds like a u-joint that has completly failed in the axel. You should easely see the bad joint. If you can not see the bad joint then jack up the front end and with the steering turned to the left or rignt, rotate the wheel and you can feel it if it is the u-joint or the unit bearing. The bad u-joint will get easy then hard to turn as the wheel is rotated.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I had the exact same thing, noise and all. I did buy new spicer's and replaced the front left (haven't done the right yet). I then proceeded with my move back to Michigan from California (got out of the Marines) and at the end of the first day my front left wheel hub went out. I was stuck in Salina, Utah for 3 days and had one overnighted to the hotel. I know some forum members live in Salina, i'm sorry. Moral of the story, when the u-joint is causing this sort of problem, it will do TONS of wear to the wheel hub! So replace the u-joint as this is most likely the problem and triple check the wheel hub.

EDIT: I noticed the u-joint was bad because the rubber seal had dropped on one side about a 1/4 inch.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

If you hear the noise when you turn left, most likely the passenger side u-joint or hub is bad because the eight of the vehicle is shifting that way and causing it to be noticeable
2003 QCSB Cummins High Output 6 speed. 4 inch turbo back straight pipe exhaust. S&B CAI. Boost Elbow. ISSPRO Boost, Fuel Press, and Pyro. Smarty So6 POD. Superlift 6" front and 4 inch rear with 35" Firestone fierce attitudes on 17" Eagle Alloys
bradbodigon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.