05 cummins 5.9 throttle sticks high when reved in park or nuetral - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
05 cummins 5.9 throttle sticks high when reved in park or nuetral

2005 5.9 cummins bought truck with engine in pieces in bed. turbo was blown #4 piston had hole burnt in it. fixed engine new turbo new fuel pressure sensor one new injector all new cross over fuel tubes new FCA. everything torqed properly. Runs great very strong. here's problem im having. rev to 2000-2500 in park or nuetral hangs for 10-15 secs then slowly bounces down. if you rev past 3000 it goes to 4000 or better and sticks wont come down until you shut it off. also after warm up seems to miss but can only hear it through exhaust. motor doesnt shake. that comes and goes then if you run it hard when comes down it lopes like it has cam then runs smooth thn lopes keeps doing that. all stock except kn filter. no codes pedal looks good on scan tool. any suggetions. please and thank you in advance

have found many post with stuck throttl but nothing about throttle not coming down
justanotherwrench is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

One more thing

Truck has no problem starting
Old 11-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just a little more about it

Also under heavy exceleration seems to ping ( like spark knock)
Old 11-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gear Nerd

Sure the ECM doesn't have a latent program on it?

I sure would have pulled all the injectors and had them sent off for proper testing while everything was apart. You don't want to take risks with these injectors, they will, as your previous owner found out, destroy an engine in a heartbeat.
AirDog II DF-165 (P551315/BF1275) / GDP Canister Delete / Bosch 505 - Stock Tips (Replaced @ 112,381 mi)
Autometer / JVC / Polk Audio
Best Tanks: 16.6 towing / 23.92 unloaded hwy / 23.2 city
TX_Dj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

I made that suggestion truck not mine just working on it. If i cant come up with something that may be what has to happen. Truck has plenty of power it does fel like it may have a program. Im used to powerstrokes and duramax this is first cr ive worked on. I must say i am quite impressed. With it.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gear Nerd

Depending on the programmer and program and ancillary mods, "Throttle Hang" is not terribly uncommon... But typically not to the degree you're describing. What does the smoke look like?
AirDog II DF-165 (P551315/BF1275) / GDP Canister Delete / Bosch 505 - Stock Tips (Replaced @ 112,381 mi)
Old 11-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

When u hammer it a little black other than that nothing
Old 11-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gear Nerd

If the owner didn't receive a programmer, or there are not tuner boxes connected in the engine bay, you might want to get someone to flash it back to stock to be sure.

Anyone with a smarty (assuming they set their truck back to stock first) can plug their smarty up to your truck and put a tune on it, then put it back to stock, and assuming that there's no latent program inside and they have the latest update to their smarty, your truck gets the latest stock program.

Alternative is to take it to dodge for the same, about $100 and they will flash all the computers back to stock, not just ECM/ABS.

It would at very least tell you if it's ECM related or not... if the problem persists after that, my vote would be to pull the injectors and test them all.

That brings up another point - when y'all were doing the work on the truck, did you take the old injectors out? If so, did you use new crush washer shims when you put them back in? If not... that'd be the next place I'd look. They are a single-use item.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

New washers but when got truck injectors where missing bought supposed good used set
Old 11-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

my truck lopes as well and throttle hangs... it only lopes when I have my diablo at 100hp or more and at that level it will also fuel pings when coming back to idle after hammering on it. I was told by diablo that fuel ping and loping idle is normal with any programmer... hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Gear Nerd

My truck doesn't lope and doesn't knock unless I advance timing significantly and then also try to lug the engine. "Any programmer"? No. Without a programmer? Definitely no.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Just put 2 injectors in a cr and its doing the same thing. Cannot figure it out. Mine has a ping. Black smokes frequently and misses. Idk what the hell to do to it.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.