Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Wait to start light while driving

54K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  leathermaneod 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 Dodge cummins 2500 5.9 cummins. i have the smarty programmer on my truck. i recently upgraded it to the smarty tnt. Recently, while i have been drivng the wait to start light comes on and dings 10 times with a considerable loss of power with the light on. i read on forums about how it could be the MAP sensor or the IAT sensor. i replaced both with new ones and i still had the problem. i also read how it could be the fuel control actuator, so i replaced it with a new one. I still had the problem. i have also downloaded the newest versions of smarty tnt and i have taken it completely off my truck and the light still cme on while driving. it seems to do it at random times after the truck is warmed up. i am getting tired of sinking money in these sensors and not fixing it. if anyone has any idea of how to fix or what the problem is please let me know. thanks

#5 ·
I have been having the same exact issue and haven't found a solution yet either. The sad thing is mads was all helpful at first, but after a couple of download revisions, they have seemed to give up. I am running the smarty s06pod and also had the latest dodge flash from the dealership. :banghead:

#7 ·
wait to start light / turbo timer linked

gonna try this, and I'll let y'all know if it works. I have unhooked every harness and taken every download off but still getting the wtsl and the p1223 code along with the obvious power loss. The only thing that stayed hooked up was the turbo timer harness because it is underneath the steering column and hard to get to. It is now removed as well and I am gonna test drive at lunch and see what happens.

#11 ·
My wait to start light sometimes comes on when I'm towing my toyhauler.The dealer looked it up and said it was to much fuel demand on the injectors so that happens and drops the power on the truck.I back out more on the fuel,hit the top of the hill the light goes out and away I go.I don't run my truck hard.Also temp light for the tranny comes on sometimes on big hills and the truck wants to overheat.I am now looking for a GMC 3500 slt 4 door 4x4 longbox 2008 to 2010 .That will solve my piece of crap dodge problem forever.

#12 ·
i've experienced this twice on longer drives through to mountains. both times at higher elevation immediatly after romping on it for a few seconds. one time i reloaded the exact same problem. the other time i kept driving with it for a few days and it went off again. No codes either times. makes me nervous cuz i hated that reduced power!

#27 ·
You would be better off asking for help in the 2nd Gen Powertrain section. Definitely don't give up on your cummins at 100k!

#14 ·
There are a ton of threads on the "WTS" light flashing, the dinging & new codes P1222/P1223.

While it's not a Smarty problem, there are a ton of threads on this issue in the Smarty section of this forum:

SMARTY POWER - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

I just recently posted this on this issue:

This new "WTS" light flashing, the 10 dings, new codes P1222, P1223 and the engine derate firmware "feature" by Chysler is beyong stupid.

While the new codes are fine, why did Chrysler add all flashing lights, dinging and engine derate also? All they had to do is set the CEL & log the P1222, or P1223 codes....

Anyway.. you can get this issue even if you don't have a Smarty.. If you have flashed your truck at a Chrysler dealer recently you have it.
It could come up on any other programmer that has incorporated this Chrysler feature into their firmware also.

It has also come up on EFI Live tunes. Although with EFI Live you can disable this "feature" yourself very easily.

In the meantime, it does appear that if you are getting this issue you do have some kind of fuel system issue.
I am running Feb 2012 TNT-R in my mild truck & fortunately I have not had this issue at all..

#15 ·
The code, wait to start light, chime, and engine derate is a Dodge loaded item that is supposed to monitor fuel return percentages. When the return rates go high it indicates issues in the fuel system, Injectors, CP-3, etc.

Its a timed error so the condition has to exist for a set period to trigger it. Shutting the engine off and restarting should stop the derate and lights.

You might check with Dodge and see if there is an update for the flash that desensitizes that parameter. It seems to be a little overly sensitive for some vehicles and will trip needlessly.

When you add a programmer it further skews the parameters and the DTC can be tripped a lot easier. It is one of those PIA things with the electronics that can cause issues with certain trucks.

What you might want to do is check the injector return to make sure you do not have a real problem developing.

#17 ·
My light never came on in over a year that i've had it, i put the EFI live software on it and now it comes on and will stay on. Does this mean it's possibly time for injectors? i was planning on a arson III kit and injectors, i just didnt want to do them this soon haha

#20 ·
I had this happen to me running a long up hill unloaded and i took it to my buddies shop and reset all the parameters in my efi tunes and the issue went away and has not returned in a couple weeks. worth a try to take it to who installed your tuner and have them check it out.

#22 ·
Has anyone found out the problem with this yet? My truck started doing it almost 4 months now and I can't fix it. I've tried everything from
new injectors and tubes
lift pump fass 150
PCA
Release valve on rail and now rail plug
Pressure sensor
And I'm probably forgetting more. I run a edge that I've updated and even took completely out no difference. Afe intake 4" pipe. I'm to the point now where I'm about to sell this thing and start over someone please help pic is of all the codes I have now.

Attachments

#23 ·
I had the infamous wait to start problem after buying a smarty Jr. Flashing light and dinging like everyone else.

A friend of a friend is a Cummins certified diesel mechanic so I hired him at $40 an hour to get rid of the problem. He also adjusted the valves and replaced the valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket.

The parts purchased are listed below. The injector tubes were an optional performance upgrade.

$2,000 in labor and $500 in parts later, the WTS problem is fixed.

Pure Diesel Power parts

03-07 Dodge 5.9L Commonrail Cummins Copper Injector Washer Set Part number: 6x F00VC17503 $14.50

03-07 Dodge 5.9L Commonrail Cummins Injector O-Ring Set Part number: 2430210081 x6 $27.00

03-07 Dodge Connector Tube O-Ring Set Part number: 6x 4062328 $12.80

07.5+ Dodge 6.7L Cummins Connector Tube Set Part number: 6x 2872395 $317.00

Below are notes the mechanic texted me during the work.

Update on truck...replaced injector o-rings fuel tubes and fuel tube o-rings. Re-torqued cylinder head...adjusted valves...got rid of hard fault in ecu for actual fuel pressure lower than commanded...wait to start light still flashed...

No codes in ecu so looked up stuff online. I have pinned out and checked every wire going to your ecu...have not found a problem.

Cleaned and retorqued injector wires...wait to start light went out....checked voltage through connectors on cylinder head and found tiny voltage drops...the new smarty program is apparently very sensitive to voltage drop...

Hooked laptop directly to ecu on engine and checked every sensor on engine and all functioned properly I'm going to try and secure injector wires better with a little light duty thread locker.

I am removing the wiring harness connectors from head and cleaning them...I do know the fuel leak hard stored code is gone though I have confirmed that over and over again. And sonic cleaned and tested injectors for proper spray pattern and opening pressure.

#24 ·
I'm no rocket surgeon, but 50 hours of labor seems like a lot... you could perform a whole lot of diagnosing with that amount of time! :surprise:

#25 ·
checked voltage through connectors on cylinder head and found tiny voltage drops...the new smarty program is apparently very sensitive to voltage drop...
Correct diagnosis of the problem, bad wiring and\or connections which is a problem as the truck ages. Wrong assumption about the programmer being sensitive, the Smarty changes nothing on sensitivity to readings, injector drivers, or anything associated with the actual program that runs the engine or detects DTC's. None of the programmers do, that is all the base Dodge flash that does that. Moist of the programmers allow you to turn off features but that is all table driven. On an 06 or 07 with the CAN bus it may take a new ECU to fix the DTC, they are a bit less than stellar with longevity.

#26 ·
I called the support line for the Smarty Jr and was told by the technician that the Smarty Jr is loaded with the lastest and greatest code from Dodge - then they add the Smarty Jr tweaks. The technician told me the newer versions of dodge code monitor pressures much more closely than what came on my 2004.5 truck originally. He offered to load my Smrty Jr with the old Dodge code from 2004.5 which he said would get rid of the WTS light.

I went the route of solving the problem - thinking there might be a reason Dodge made the programming more sensitive.

The valve adjustment and oil pan gasket were needed anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.