48re not shifting right and oil leak! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: -1 reviews
48re not shifting right and oil leak!

I have a 06 dodge 2500 mega cab with just a crazy larry chip on it. It recently started shifting wierd out of 2nd gear like its either studoring or shifts in then out then back in, this is only when im going normal cruising speed. Now when i step on the pedal harder it feals like it shifts right through fine, any ideas?
Next problem i have is a pretty bad oil leak and its dripping from bottom of ac compressor and fron of pans wet and passrnger sides wet the drivers sides dry.ideas? Also lOoking for 5 inch exhaust and a cold air intake for same truck! Thanks guys
06cumminsdieselpower is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
1st off welocme.
2nd, put the specs/mods to your truck in the sig so we know what you have/are working on.
Is the trans stock or built?
Need to know.
Sounds like you have the "shuttle shifting" syndrome going on by the info you sent without knowing anything more about the trans.
Bands been adjusted recently (if ever)?
Accumulator/solenoid been checked/replaced.
If the trans is stock and your running crazy larry with a heavy right foot 1st thing you're gonna' need is to get the trans straightened away before adding anything else.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
COFFMAN CUSTOMS

Did this happen before the BD was installed? If not I would say BD creates a bit higher pressure in the trans... Shuttle shift Is common problem.... But more annoying than a problem... The GM shift actuator / solenoid has work for many others, also if your gonna do a shift kit some after market valve spring swaps will fix this... I have had it done to mine and no problems... I can get the P/N later for u

Sent by DROID X

Last edited by rlawless; 10-19-2011 at 10:22 AM.
rlawless is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06cumminsdieselpower View Post
I have a 06 dodge 2500 mega cab with just a crazy larry chip on it. It recently started shifting wierd out of 2nd gear like its either studoring or shifts in then out then back in, this is only when im going normal cruising speed. Now when i step on the pedal harder it feals like it shifts right through fine, any ideas?
Next problem i have is a pretty bad oil leak and its dripping from bottom of ac compressor and fron of pans wet and passrnger sides wet the drivers sides dry.ideas? Also lOoking for 5 inch exhaust and a cold air intake for same truck! Thanks guys
bought my 06 in nov. last yr with extended warranty(thank god).
took it to dealer for same problem.
2-3,2-3,2-3 bounce back n forth under light excel. as speed picked up finally shift into third then right in to fourth. finnaly got to where it wouldnt get past third unless on flat ground or down hill. this all started shortly after i bought truck and got worse as time went on.

the pulled pan and valvebody off and band to third gear was broke and clutch pack to third gear was almost compleatly gone.

not that it meens anything, just my experiance.

i agree with previous poster with your other mods make a good shift kit first on the list.
every vehicle i have gets a top shelf shift kit install as soon as warranty runs out. would do it durring warrant but if trans needs work/replace it gets lost for a stocker so i wait till it expires
The normal stuff: baldwin fuel filter, silencer ring MIA, K&N cold air intake w/Amsoil 4090 filter, fuel, trans, coolant, boost, lift pump pres., pyrometer gauges, diablo trinity tow & performance tune only, Suncoast single disk t.c. Is next w/shift kit.

Last edited by pjs thunderbolt; 10-19-2011 at 04:49 PM.
pjs thunderbolt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 1,646 Times in 1,372 Posts
2-3 shuttle shift - check the front band adjustment, check the gov presure rise, replace and adjust if needed. If that helps great, otherwise you might have to dig deeper into the trans.

oil leak dripping off compressor - sucks! Pull your fan and shroud, pull the upper idler pulley and fan support. Almost willing to bet you will see oil leaking and running down the timing cover case right onto the compressor. I just siliconed the slope where it was leaking and that fixed it. For now. Otherwise, ya gotta pull the cam and timing cover to replace the gasket.

1992 D250 47RH Built pump 370 Marine Tips
cerberusiam is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 12:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

iTrader Score: -1 reviews
Filled it out thanks forthe reply guys. I just bought the truck, its annoying more then anything your right when i shift it manully it shifts great or if i step on it it shifts fine. The trannys stock as far as i know but has been rebuilt. Anyone have any built trsnnys for sale or trade? Or cold air intake or exhaust
Old 10-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Cai

Quote:
Filled it out thanks forthe reply guys. I just bought the truck, its annoying more then anything your right when i shift it manully it shifts great or if i step on it it shifts fine. The trannys stock as far as i know but has been rebuilt. Anyone have any built trsnnys for sale or trade? Or cold air intake or exhaust
Here is a cheap and easy mod for a CAI.
This and a 4" pleat filter from Wix or NAPA.
The filter will cost more than the CAI.
Home Deopt CAI on a 3rd Gen

This is the 4" exhaust that I use. Nice system turbo back and 332.00.
ANSA ALUMINIZED TURBO BACK EXHAUST SYSTEM ('04.5-'07)-Dodge Cummins Diesel Truck Accessories – Geno’s Garage
It's not that shiny SS but it doesn't cost like SS either.
You can get it in SS if that's what you want though.
And it sounds good with almost NO drone at all.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 1,646 Times in 1,372 Posts
Quote:
Or cold air intake or exhaust
Until you break 500 hp the stock filter with extra holes drilled in the box or extra ducting added to the bottom to draw in cold air will work fine. The $300 CAI is really nothing but fluff and looks at these levels. It won't gain you a thing but a lighter wallet.

You already have a 4" exhaust from the turbo back. A larger exhaust is not going to add performance and will probably hinder turbo spool and low end TQ. A CAT delete and a free flowing muffler will handle anything until you pass 700 hp or so. If you want a little different sound a 5" tail pipe will change the resonance and do that.

The transmisson is a matter of choice. If you want to throw a bunch of $$ at it you can do that. Or, you do some simple cheaper mods to help it along until you figure out how much power you want and how you want to use the truck. A lot is going to depend on expected use.

1992 D250 47RH Built pump 370 Marine Tips
cerberusiam is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.