How often should you adjust the bands in an Automatic Trans? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How often should you adjust the bands in an Automatic Trans?

I have an 03 2500 and was wondering how often I should adjust the bands in my transmission. Any advice?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Check your service manual you got with the truck. It will tell you at what miles you need them adjusted.

NEW - 2012 Toyota Tundra
el jefe is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I do the filter, all trany fluid, and adjust both sets of bands every 30k miles. 100k and like brand new inside. lots of towing.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

is there a thread for the band adjustment I m going to change the filter and fluid real soon
dodgerammer97 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

bump...........
dodgerammer97 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 11:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftygrit View Post
I do the filter, all trany fluid, and adjust both sets of bands every 30k miles. 100k and like brand new inside. lots of towing.
It’s refreshing to hear from someone who takes care of their truck. I don’t flush my trany, but I do pull the plug on my Mag-Hytec and do a drain and fill every 15,000 with Amsoil ATF. I also have a 22 micron spin-on trany filter. The bands get adjusted every 60,000 miles. So far my truck still shifts like it did when it was new. I only have 78,000 miles on the truck, but I know people who have had trany problems way before I have.
06/4X4/48RE/Aero 4040XL/PSM Air Intake/Cool Hose/T.A.G./GDP Big Line & Max-Flo Inlet Kit/GDP Air Boss & Power-Flo/Bilstein/Fluidampr/MAG-HYTEC/Amsoil By-Pass/2 Micron Fuel Filter/Trany Spin-On Filter/Coolant Filter/Carli BJ
dieselenthusiast is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 12:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerammer97 View Post
is there a thread for the band adjustment I m going to change the filter and fluid real soon
I am bringing mine in to get a band adjustment next week, I will let you know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselenthusiast View Post
I only have 78,000 miles on the truck, but I know people who have had trany problems way before I have.
I have 73,000 miles and I think I could almost fall into that "tranny problem" category already
05. Stg 2 shift kit, Smarty, AFE, 13" Rize, 40" toyo, BMF novakane, Road Armor, MBRP, Carli balljoints, Thuren steering, Yukon hub kit, SS brake lines, FASS HD 150 lift pump, Fox, Autometer rail, fuel, egt, boost, tranny temp gauges.
dieselnoob89 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselnoob89 View Post
I have 73,000 miles and I think I could almost fall into that "tranny problem" category already
Tthe Smarty S06 and 38's are your tranny's demise even with the stage 2 in it.

To the OP. I have never flushed my tranny and have never adjusted the bands. Every 30-40k I drain the fluid and change the filter. It takes 10 quarts each time I do it since I have the Mag-Hytec DD pan. I have 169,000 miles on my tranny. Two months ago I towed 20K combined from MD to TX going the northern route and it still performs the same as it did when I bought the truck six years ago.
Retired Navy Chief - Vanilla 04 2500 QCSB, 4x4, 48RE w/MagHytec DD, Smarty Jr, HOG 4" Exh, Modded Air Box, Isspro Gauges, Quadzilla RPG w/fuel pressure, DynaTrac front, Coolant By-Pass Filter - B&W Turnoverball w/Companion 5vr hitch

Last edited by NavyDood; 09-29-2011 at 08:37 AM.
NavyDood is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Im in the same boat as Navydood. Trans fluid and filter has been changed once a year and thats it. Never had a band adjustment and has never had anything wrong. No funny shifting or anything. Still works like new. 178,000 miles on mine.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Let me clarify a little. I took the truck in at 60,000 miles to check the bands. The dealer said the bands were in specifications and did not need to be readjusted. He recommend that I check the bands every 60,000 miles. The 48RE seems to be a good trany for most of us.
06/4X4/48RE/Aero 4040XL/PSM Air Intake/Cool Hose/T.A.G./GDP Big Line & Max-Flo Inlet Kit/GDP Air Boss & Power-Flo/Bilstein/Fluidampr/MAG-HYTEC/Amsoil By-Pass/2 Micron Fuel Filter/Trany Spin-On Filter/Coolant Filter/Carli BJ
dieselenthusiast is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Well the only reason I ask is cause I know the Auto Trans for Dodge are known to go out. My truck has 219,000 on it now and I bought it at 176,000 from my uncle and he got them adjusted at 165,000. I am about to make a move from Southern California to Jacksonville Florida and just figured it would be a good idea to do before I made the move. Thanks for the advice guys!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 09-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

The automatic transmission behind any diesel engine powered pickup tend to be problematic. All it takes is a good rebuild by one of the big names and you will never have to worry about it again!
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.