CAT C7 Acert swap?? - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I am currently rebuilding a 07 5.9L Cummins. I have a complete Overhaul kit priced w/ free shipping from MAHLE/Clevite for 1150.00. If you are willing and able to do the work your self, it will save you a lot of cash. Good Luck and hope everything works out for you.
07 Ram3500 Slt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

the way it looks at this point I'll do everything except the machine work. I depending on what the cylinders look like I may have to bore it and buy pistons. Won't really know what I'm in for until I get the head off I suppose.

Dave
Old 10-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbs View Post
All this blind troubleshooting I've been doing with my Cummins is aggravating. I'm used to be able to plug in to do cylinder cutouts, pull egt's adjust fuel maps, etc... to diagnose and solve problems, and all I can do on my cummins is look at it. Sure all the mechanical stuff is similar and taking things apart is the same but with the common rail technology there is so much that you can do troubleshooting with the electronic side that I dont' have with the Cummins.
You may want to check out EFI Live. I haven't used it but it sure seems like it will give you the same tools for your Cummins as you are used to for your CATs.

Best of luck to you.
Inferno Red, 2006 Quad Cab Laramie, Short Bed, West Coast, hard tonneau cover, LED Lights all around, Nitto Dune Grapplers on Cruiser Wheels 32" 285/55/20, Banks Six Gun with Banks IQ, Banks Ram Air and Intercooler, AirRaid Air box, MBPR 5" Turbo Back Exhaust with MBPR Performance Muffler.
scotchwhiskey is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Efi live is pretty bad I'm getting my truck tuned this weekend and Its supposed to be the best tuner around and can do all kinds of stuff
zsorkow is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 04:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Oh goosh some new bern crowd here let me guess ur sources are gregory poole folks I used to work there for a few years. The c7 is a monster compared to the 6bt the truck would not hold up no built heav enough. Cat really has nothing comparable in size right now the 3116 or 26 would be the closest to fitting and even then are on the heavy side and a bit bigger. This would be a lost cause, if it is just blow by pop the head off snatch out pistons run a stone hone in there new rings and back too business. For less then 1200 bucks back up an running
Old 10-09-2011, 04:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Not to mention I don't think you would touch a c7 for less then 12g
Old 10-09-2011, 04:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

As far as fuel maps electronic technician dosent let you do that, you can do cylinder cut outs and take freeze frames to diagnose problems set trim codes for injectors but you can't change any of the fpo fl p stuff with out knowing the numbers from a cat engineer and they haven't gave that info out since all the c32 issues a few years back you can change alarm parameters but no fuel maps.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

right you are. I deal with greg poole daily... good people.

OK so the CAT C7 swap is not the best route to take, and I'll just redo the cummins. Probably pull it out in late Jan or early Feb and start the process. Hopefully I can just hone it and not have to buy new pistons.

While I'm in there I'll do a cam, and it sounds like the hamilton 181 / 210 cam is a pretty good fit and popular for these trucks, so that with pushrods, springs, and tappets, will go in. I'll get the pistons coated, and balance the rotating assembly with the stock rods. Still debating on the stock "cracked" rods vs the 24V rods so any input is appreciated. Other than that I'll put the ARP head stud kit in and get the head cleaned up and replace the freeze plugs under the valve cover with the pipe plugs. I think that should be a good bottom end to build on. I'm not looking for anything huge in the future, maybe a bigger turbo, and a smarty. Be nice to have a solid motor that could handle the 500HP / 1000 pounds of torque that my clutch is rated for.

So lets hear it, does that sound like a successful build, what am I missing? Looking at pure diesel power at the place to buy parts from any other places I should look to save time and money but keep quality up?

Dave
Old 10-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Always broken

Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,234 Posts
Sounds like a decent build. That 500hp is nothing; your truck with just Smarty is damn near 500 at the wheels, with the cam it may be there. Haven't run mine on a dyno yet, but I expect 500 out of it

Quote:
Youve got a forum full of diesel tuners , engineers, after market techs and pretty much every other kinda expert you can imagine. You are on an experts websight.
'strokeThis_'07 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbs View Post
right you are. I deal with greg poole daily... good people.

OK so the CAT C7 swap is not the best route to take, and I'll just redo the cummins. Probably pull it out in late Jan or early Feb and start the process. Hopefully I can just hone it and not have to buy new pistons.

While I'm in there I'll do a cam, and it sounds like the hamilton 181 / 210 cam is a pretty good fit and popular for these trucks, so that with pushrods, springs, and tappets, will go in. I'll get the pistons coated, and balance the rotating assembly with the stock rods. Still debating on the stock "cracked" rods vs the 24V rods so any input is appreciated. Other than that I'll put the ARP head stud kit in and get the head cleaned up and replace the freeze plugs under the valve cover with the pipe plugs. I think that should be a good bottom end to build on. I'm not looking for anything huge in the future, maybe a bigger turbo, and a smarty. Be nice to have a solid motor that could handle the 500HP / 1000 pounds of torque that my clutch is rated for.

So lets hear it, does that sound like a successful build, what am I missing? Looking at pure diesel power at the place to buy parts from any other places I should look to save time and money but keep quality up?

Dave
Might want to check out Doghouse Diesel Performance. They can give you advice on the best route to take considering your budget and needs.
2003 3500,Qcab,DRW,6spd,4x4,4.10,K&N FIPK,Hurst shifter,Goodyear Silent Armour tires,Moto Metal wheels,362,000kms,SB DD 3600,B&W GN Hitch,2008.5 steering upgrade,Thuren stabilizer&End Links,GDP Mk2 Cat filter,steering brace, MBRP 5" TBE.
Grumpy66 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #23 (permalink)

Why are you even debating putting a CAT in there, why dont you try to put a N14 cummins motor in it, that would be a sick swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.