Erratic rail pressure, inconsistant power - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Erratic rail pressure, inconsistant power

Hey guys, I was driving my new truck home last night and started to have some issues...

Cruising down the highway the truck just started to pop alittle and then power was cutting in and out. I noticed the rail pressure was dropping, then coming back up, and then finally just dropping out. at idle it was pretty choppy, and I was getting P0193 and P0123 codes, along with a fan code, transmission code, and a couple others that really had nothing to do with fueling or anything like that.

There was no hazing, white smoke or black smoke, no haze at idle or anything like that.

If I shut the truck down for 20min + and then fire it up it would seem to idle just fine and would drive for about 5-15 miles before it would act up again. I did this once and shut it down and had it flatbedded home.

It does have a quadzilla RP gauge in it that I am considering disconnecting, and trying to swap in my buddies rail pressure sensor and TPS to see if that changes anything. I am also going to try to hook up a pressure gauge to see what the FASS is putting to the CP3.

The truck has FLux 4 injectors, and Wicked Stage 3 pump. The pump and injectors have only about 5-7k miles on them. ( it has other supporting mods as well.)

The truck is running no tuning, I was using a smarty to read codes but it was vin locked so I could not download a tune.

Any help would be appreciated, as I am pretty new to the Common rail.

Thanks guys!
barracuda_440 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Check out the lift pump pressure like ur planning to could be that. Other options r replace the fca, pressure sensor on the rail, or the prv on the rail.
2004.5 3500 4x4 NV5600, PDR Cam, ARP 425s, industrial injection 60 horse injectors, Raptor 100 fuel pump, DIY 2micron fuel filter system with big line upgrade, HE351 over S475,more brewing SMARTY S06 and UDC fine tuning all of it
mkwelds is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer

Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,285 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
disconnect all gauges and boxes from the rail pressure sensor circuit and go for a drive, see if it still does it.

From what you're describing, (and following facebook.. 2003 truck right???) I'd say you need a new APPS. Especially with that P0123 code..

Timbo APPS
Parts for sale: Van Aken SmartBox, 03-05 Banks 6Gun, TST PMCR w/R37 remote also have another full one w/R49.
Shibbyutman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanks Kurt! and yes its that 2003.

I am going to swap my buddies Rail pressure sensor in it, and TPS, and maybe the APPS too, one at a time to see if any one solves the issue.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer

Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,285 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Let us know how it works out. If you have the parts to switch thats the best way to do it.
Parts for sale: Van Aken SmartBox, 03-05 Banks 6Gun, TST PMCR w/R37 remote also have another full one w/R49.
Shibbyutman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Wont be a few more hours until I can tear into it, but anyone else have any advice or input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.