How to tell if axle u-joints are going bad? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How to tell if axle u-joints are going bad?

I think my axle u-joints are starting to go, but I'm not sure...

Symptoms are that while driving straight ahead, everything feels normal, but when I turn, it feels like the front end is binding up like it does when I turn too tight in 4WD. Is that the angel of u-joint death telling me to get my affairs in order?

I'm at roughly 80K miles now, and I suppose I should do ball joints and wheel bearings while I'm at it, correct?
ThatDudeOrion is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Jack up the front and with the wheels turned to one side, rotate the wheel by hand. If the joint is going bad it will get tight and loose every quarter turn.

If the bearing hubs are fine, why change them? If ball joints are loose you can check while it is on the jacks. Push and pull on the top and bottom of the wheel to check.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Mine would making a squeaking noise when turning at slow speeds.
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 4x4 Auto Quad Cab SLT, Industrial Injection Dragon Fly 60's, S&B intake with scoop, grid heater delete, 5 inch straight pipe, Leveled, Custom MK2, 3in1 Gauges-Fuel Pressure/EGT/Boost
uc_bearcat_cummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDudeOrion View Post

Symptoms are that while driving straight ahead, everything feels normal, but when I turn, it feels like the front end is binding up like it does when I turn too tight in 4WD. Is that the angel of u-joint death telling me to get my affairs in order?

I'm at roughly 80K miles now, and I suppose I should do ball joints and wheel bearings while I'm at it, correct?
newbie here, but with other cars I've had similar issues with the differentials and needing to add some friction modifier or service the diff
CoronaL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Mine just started acting up this week. I am getting a shimmy back and forth in the steering wheel as I turn. It is worse at slow speeds and I am getting a squeaking sound as well. I will be replacing them and the unit bearings in the upcoming weeks.
[B]2004.5, 5.9 HO Auto, Laramie, Gray w/Black Leather, Snow Plow Pkg., Tow Pkg., 4.10 Rears, MBRP T304 Duals, AFE Bladerunner, AEM Brute Force Intake, 08.5 Steering Upgrade, Mag Hytec Diff & Trans, HID's, Tint, Kore Performance Leveling Kit, 35" Toyo M/T's, Isspro triple gauge pod, Smarty Tuned!
ROTTI54 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ain't No Boys Toy.

The best way I know my u joint was going bad was when I turn the wheel either way. It would jump and jerk. So I jacked the front end and a buddy climbed under and moved the U joint itself and said it was bad. They will also click when they are bad. I would not replace the ball joints unless they are bad. They become loose and move up and down in there. I replace my one u joint with only 89,000 miles on it. Now I have no jerking or anything.

Don't care if you are carrying your load or carrying your a**. You better be carrying something.
Kearnz06 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mine has 117K miles and I just put in all new u-joints and upper and lower ball joints. Lots of squeaks and cracks as well as some vibrations from the u-joints prior to the recent work. Lots of frustration at having to change all of this at what I consider low milage. I used all Napa parts by the way. I think they hold up better than Moog parts.
Mopar Morris is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

axle u-joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDudeOrion View Post

Jack the wheel (have it turned all the way, doesn't matter which way)
look at the cups where they go onto the u-joint X. More than likely you'll see what looks like rusty water streaks coming out or chunks of the cups broken off at the edges.
If you have to replace I use greaseable (MY choice). Check the unit hub bearings and ball joints before tearing into it. Unit/hub bearing has to come off so if it looks questionable and you're almost to the ball joints so if they're iffy, why not.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

u-joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaL View Post
newbie here, but with other cars I've had similar issues with the differentials and needing to add some friction modifier or service the diff
Dodge does NOT use friction modifiers (sp?). Synthetic fluid, no clutches.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

grab each side of the axle with the ujoint in the middle, if you can turn both shafts the opposite way and theres play that means there bad.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

My axle u-joints were popping and as I would steer at slow speeds the steering wheel would shudder back and forth violently when they were going bad.
[B]2004.5, 5.9 HO Auto, Laramie, Gray w/Black Leather, Snow Plow Pkg., Tow Pkg., 4.10 Rears, MBRP T304 Duals, AFE Bladerunner, AEM Brute Force Intake, 08.5 Steering Upgrade, Mag Hytec Diff & Trans, HID's, Tint, Kore Performance Leveling Kit, 35" Toyo M/T's, Isspro triple gauge pod, Smarty Tuned!
ROTTI54 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

you know I discovered that when a red dust (rust color) would develope on the rim the ujoint was going out.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.