48RE won't shift 2-3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
48RE won't shift 2-3

I know there are a lot of trans threads going on... but it seems like everyone is having shuttle shift issues. I definitely don't have that. My issue is that it's not shifting from 2-3. It was just happening when the trans was cold, now it's happening randomly. I can sometimes shift to N and back to D quick and it'll go to 3rd. When it does shift, it slams into gear. Whenever I accelerate normally, it will hold 2nd until 2300 RPM and then slam to 3rd. If I get on it, the shifts are actually perfect. Much smoother and exactly the right points. What the crap! I adjusted the bands, didn't help. I see threads about TV cable.. and I don't know what that is or how to check it. Any ideas?

I took it to a local trans shop today, and I wasn't impressed. They didn't really have any thoughts other than put it on their diagnostic machine, but they didn't think it would show anything. I also asked if they did any upgraded transmissions, and they said "No, these Dodge transmissions get expensive". No crap.. I didn't say I didn't want to pay for it LOL. If you know any good shops in Northern IN I'd be interested in that too!

2008 Pontiac G8 - Procharged
torqueaddict is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
mine was doin that for a few months and now my entire secong gear took a crap and now needs another tranny guess u better get urself a nice one
jason72 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 1,755 Times in 1,458 Posts
You don't have a TV cable, you have a TTVA motor. The only way to mess with its settings is using a shift enhancer or advancing the gear drive.

That doesn't sound like your problem any way. You would need to run pressure test to tell but it sounds like your gov pressure may be sticking high. Evidently the trans shop you went to is not up on current diagnostic procedures.

If you haven't done it, change out the gov pressure solenoid and transducer, and, while your at it an output speed sensor might be the problem. They all control, along with wheel speed, how the transmissions shifts 1-2 and 2-3. A problem in one can throw glitches all the way thru.

1992 D250 47RH Built pump 370 Marine Tips
cerberusiam is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

How hard is it to change those? Just drop the pan? How expensive are they?

Old 04-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
How hard is it to change those? Just drop the pan? How expensive are they?
Simple to change, 3 bolts and 2 wire connections after dropping the pan.

The transducer and solenoid can be found here A500 42RE A618 46RE 47RE 48RE Transmission governor pressure sensor 56028196AD,Transmission solenoids

Old 05-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I'm havging the dame issue with 07. I have a billet goerend with a DTT shift enhacer. My probelm is it didn't do until I loaded my smarty. I was wondering if it has to do with torque mang or just part of the tune? I'm going to get a hold to DTT and ask if they have an answer for the issue.
richards2100 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you reduced the TQ management then yes that is the likely problem. I am currently Smarty TNT SW1 with TQ 3, upgraded GM comversion solenoid, lower stall TC, TranGo SK, and a DTT Shift Enhaser. On settings 1 and light footing it shuttle shift is rare, like almost never.

Since you have about all the good pieces there are, a DTT Shift Enhanser set for your build might be a good investment.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I'm just having problems with the 2-3 shift when i'm just driving slow around town. It will hang in second gear until about 2000 RPM. It just sucks when your trying to pick up a little extra milage. It even says in the smarty manual somewhere that you will have to let off for a while for it up shift sometimes. But even under moderate to low throttle it shifts perfect. I was just hoping I could fix it with the DTT shift enhancer.
richards2100 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to richards2100 For This Useful Post:
Goat11 (04-30-2013)
Old 05-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

That sounds more like a problem with gov solenoid or possibly front band adjustment. It just depends on how the VB was setup a lot of times.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I'll have to make some calls. Someone from goerend or one of the smarty guys should know if it is common. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

let me know what you find out. That sounds similiar to mine, except mine doesn't matter where the programmer is set or even if it's on. Mine also waits until about 2300 rpm to shift, even higher than yours. It's funny though, even if i let off the gas it won't shift. If I punch it, then it shifts. I might just try the parts Cerberusiam suggested. For $100 it's probably worth a shot.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Crazy

I would also like to hear what you find out.
Bully Dog PMT(For Gauges), SSR, BD Performance Plus Trans, BD Triple Disc Torque, BD Flex Plate, BD Intake Horn, BD Boost fooler, AirDogII, Flux 2's, II Turbo, 5" FLO~Pro Turbo Back, TNE Diesel Tuned, Recon everything
nightfiref7 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.