2006 5.9L mileage - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb 2006 5.9L mileage

Is anyone honestly getting better than 14-16 mpg. My 2006 5.9L is only getting 14 mpg on the highway driving at 70-75 mph around 2100-2200 rpm, my 98 use to get 19-20 mpg wish I still had it. Please do not post on heavy foot as this additude on driving 55 mph is just stupid. I baught the rig to drive. The answer is not to drive slower but find out how to drive at road speed and still get 19-20 mpg. If lower rpm's are needed maybe a higher overdrive gear is needed? or is there a programmer to change the timing or injection timing who cares about emissions I want mileage.
wes kohler is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

A chip or programmer that does timing will probably give you something. Biggest question is, how many miles on the truck? May not be broken in yet....Lifted? Leveled? What size tires?...all factors...
awenthol is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2007, 05:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

My 2006 is all stock almoast 17000 miles stock tires alwise #2 diesel some better than others but I still have not seen better than 16 mpg.
wes kohler is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Just filled my '07 5.9 today and hand calculated at 17.2 mpg (19.8 on the lie-o-meter). 75% of that is highway and the past three days was with a load of fire wood in the bed. The truck has 10K on the clock and the only mods are muffler and cat delete (did put a flow thru muffler in place of the cat), silencer ring gone and cleaned out the air tube.

Dave
Old 12-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
COFFMAN CUSTOMS

Thanked 1,387 Times in 942 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Dads 06 got 14-16 until about 20K on the clock... Now he breaks 20 around town and gets about 18-19 on the fwy at 70+... his overhead is always w/in about 1-2%.. as is mine.. .My 05 is getting about 16 with mixed driving and 11K on the clock.. my overhead has never been more than .1mpg off.

AH64ID is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Best I ever got with mine was 18 even. (Hand calculated) I have noticed that the overhead usually reads 2 mpg better than what I'm actually getting. Truck has about 14,200 miles on it though I'm waiting for 20.000 and then we'll see.
LinemanTater is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I took a 2000 mile road trip and the worst tank of fuel hand calculated was 18.2. I usually get around 16-17 in town and with mixed driving. I get less when I tow and have to let it idle a lot to warm up.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes kohler View Post
Is anyone honestly getting better than 14-16 mpg. My 2006 5.9L is only getting 14 mpg on the highway driving at 70-75 mph around 2100-2200 rpm, my 98 use to get 19-20 mpg wish I still had it. Please do not post on heavy foot as this additude on driving 55 mph is just stupid. I baught the rig to drive. The answer is not to drive slower but find out how to drive at road speed and still get 19-20 mpg. If lower rpm's are needed maybe a higher overdrive gear is needed? or is there a programmer to change the timing or injection timing who cares about emissions I want mileage.
I understand your frustration. I hear all the big numbers and I don't believe them either. My numbers (stock) were like yours. They didn't improve like everyone said when it was broken in either.

Here's what I did to get better mileage: Biggest help--tonneau cover. This significantly reduces the drag that develops behind the tailgate of the truck. Keeping the tailgate down or off doesn't help at all. Tonneau cover gave me 1 mpg ave., more the faster you go.

Second, Bully Dog (or other chip) set in the middle of the range (performance for Bully Dog). This helps you resist the temptation to hit the go pedal hard and improves mileage. Actually, it was the combination of intake, muffler, chip that did the trick. I really think you need all three to work together to make a noticeable difference in mpg.

I also put in propane injection and that helped more than you can imagine. I don't have hard figures yet when you figure in the cost of propane, but I'm convinced the savings is significant.

If you want details of the install, go to Great Lakes Turbo Diesel Register • View topic - Anything NEW happening with your rig?

Recent highway trip hand calculated over 23 mpg at 70 mph. Not counting propane. I'm guessing 20 mpg when cost of propane is calculated in.

Hope this helps.
'05 2500 SLT 4X4, 5.9L, Brute Force Air Intake, CFM+ Intake Manifold, Bully Dog Triple Dog Downloader w Outlook Monitor, Aero Turbine muffler, FS2500 Bypass oil filter, Line-X bedliner, Peragon tonneau cover, XM Satellite radio. Now with propane injection!!
"If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness; therefore you are feared."
Psalm 130:3-4
Diesel Pastor is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I have a 2006 megacab, it got 16-17 untill 24k miles then I began getting much better numbers. After muffler delete and homemade filter I started seeing alot better numbers than 16-17. Now that winter is upon us I am seeing 16-18. Part of the problem is I only life 12 miles from work, so it takes a good part of my drive to get in operating tempature. Good luck with your quest for better mileage. I know the truck is capable of better than what you are getting, just dont expect 30mpg like some are claiming that is just plain ole BS.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

My 06 gets 18-20 around local roads under 50mph. Highway is more like 16-18 at 70mph. The G56 needs seventh gear

2006 Ram 2500 QC SB 6 Speed 4X4
Smarty, High Ram intake, Silverline turbo back, AEM Workhorse, Auto Meter Fuel, Boost, EGT, South Bend DD, Fluidamper, Kore HP. Airdog 150.
Harley27 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

17 to 19 mpg, I do get better with EXXON diesel..

2009 1500 5.7 HEMI Crew Cab, 4x4, 5 speed auto, 3.55

Last edited by Diesel Head; 12-06-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Diesel Head is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

my last 3 diesel trucks get about the same, F250 7.3, 93 5.9, and now this one get about the same, a friend of mine gets 20 MPG in his Cheby Dukemax, I usually drive the speed limit and a little slow on takeoff, people hate me,..when they get om my bumper I give them some black smoke..

2009 1500 5.7 HEMI Crew Cab, 4x4, 5 speed auto, 3.55
Diesel Head is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.