Turbo Whistle Too Loud - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Real trucks whistle and whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNebel View Post
I bought my '07 5.9 a few months ago used. It had a drop in K&N in it when I bought it. I decided to put a cold air K&N in it yesterday, and noticed that the silencer ring had already been removed from the turbo by the previous owner. I didn't notice much of a whistle at all before, until I changed to the cold air intake. Now the whistle is almost obnoxious on the highway. (I use it as an everyday work truck mostly) It does sound cool, but I have a feeling it will get to be too much. Exhaust is all stock still. Where can I get another silencer ring? Or is there something else I can do to quiet that whistle down? A friend suggested putting a straight pipe on to drown out the whistle
Don't sweat the little things just be glad you own a real truck with a cummins engine in it!!! Just like the bikers say loud pipes save lives LOL Well when you hear the turbo get the hell outta the way!!!!!!!
03diesel59 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Turbo noise or what?

My 3500 06 Cummins just started making a sound like the air breather is off when I put a load on it while pulling my trailer. Really sucking air, kind of raspy. When I am levelled out it is okay. Never heard this sound before.
pepajohn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Well like i said, having a loud turbo whisle is cool, but when you take the silencer ring out it exposes the back of the turbo, air might pass the blades under insted of directed into them (like when the silencer ring is on) and cause wind to not flow at the most efficent way, resulting in possibly lost power. IMHO, I beleive it was there for a reason, yes your correct to lower turbo whistle, but no one ever said it wasnt there to create more efficent air flow.
2011 6.7 QCLB 3.73's H&S mini-maxx Tow-Mode Timing#2-NO-ATT, H&S OD software,Sinister-EGR, 5' AFE Turbo back, s&b CAI, 20' Fuel Full Blown white wheels, 35' Trail diggers, 2014 39' Torque 325 toy hauler
nickboyer92 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickboyer92 View Post
Well like i said, having a loud turbo whisle is cool, but when you take the silencer ring out it exposes the back of the turbo, air might pass the blades under insted of directed into them (like when the silencer ring is on) and cause wind to not flow at the most efficent way, resulting in possibly lost power. IMHO, I beleive it was there for a reason, yes your correct to lower turbo whistle, but no one ever said it wasnt there to create more efficent air flow.
This is a huge controversy and I agree with you. I have heard the same engine on our trucks used in industrial settings has the silencer ring also, typically if it was just to lower noise it wouldn't be there on industrial equipment. I had mine out and it was too loud for me with the S&B but my BD turbo sounds perfect.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

I didn't make any changes, it is all factory, the louder noise just started in the last two weeks.
pepajohn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 03:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I'm no engineer but I don't think takin it out hurts anything. I like the sound. I tend to hang onto my stock parts after I remove them. Didn't figure on putting it back in and it won't fit am aftermarket turbo so had no more use for it. The stealership probably want like $50 bucks for that piece of scrap tin so I helped a guy out. No harm in that. Didn't ask for a thing in return either. If you wanna keep your truck quiet, cool. I personally like loud. I'm going to delete my muffler and add a 6-8" tip when I get back from this deployment. That'll satisfy me for a week or 2 and I might not hear my turbo anymore.
'06 Black 2500 QC/SB Laramie 4x4, Smarty JR, 4" turbo-back, S&B CAI, BD CDT2, EGT, leveled, Dynatrac BJs, 08.5+ upgrade, rear bags, 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on Ultra Titans, MIA: silencer, muffler, badges
Fodie13 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 05:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
i remember reading a thread on here, i will see if i can find it, where a guy dyno his truck then took it out and dynoed it again and he said he didnt lose or gain an hp.
03 Fass 150, Floor-it Stage 2, Flux 2.5, Hamilton 110 Springs & Pushrods, Spool Aid, ATS ArcFlow, ATS Subzero IC, ATS Stage 4 Tranny, HE351/Aurora 6K, Doghouse Diesel 1-piece Driveline, 7 Autometer Phatom, H11 Headstuds, Pinnacle Exhaust, Wicked Bypass, Smarty Touch, Smarty UDC by Coffman Customs Soon: 62/65/12, GDP Ladder Bars, and Billet Output

My Build
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...tle-build.html

Last edited by Black03cummins; 05-26-2011 at 05:56 AM. Reason: update
Black03cummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
i noticed on my 5.9 the turbo sounded like a f-16 flying overhead at highway speeds until i put a 5' TBE straight pipe on, then that was louder than my turbo... problem solved. Order your silencer ring from the stealership, make sure it comes with a snap ring, if you dont have a set of snap ring plyers, go get a set so u dont screw up the turbo... I didnt take mine off because of the whole "its there for a reason" thought, some engineer put it there making 150k a year, not the farmboy down the road who says "take er out, it aint guna harm nuttin."
"Farm boy?" hahhahahaha Guilty as charged. I'd go ahead and venture to reckon' that we done got a few more on here too.
TNebel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by commtrd View Post
What are the mods to do to a stock airbox? And can I get the new deeper Mopar filter at any dealership parts dept.? Part number?
Do a quick search....there are a few options....most popular is the Home Depot intake...cut a 4-inch hole the bottom of the box and run a snorkel down the fender liner to pull in outside air. Some Swiss cheese the box, some have cut out the front of the box and pulled the rubber cover from the a/c condenser fittings. If you just search for "air box" you'll get tons of options.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I believe that Garrett knows what they're doing when it comes to turbochargers. Check out their turbo page, not one of their turbos are setup for silencer rings. Good enough for them, good enough for me!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #23 (permalink)

I have the same loud whistle problem. I bought my truck used with the ring out and a K&N intake. I switched the filter to an amsoil filter and that didn't do anything. The sound is stupid loud on the highway. I've been talking with a guy from this site who will hopefully be sending me his old ring. I hope it helps. If not, Ill try a little sound proofing in the cab.
04.5, 2500 H.O. QCSB 4X4 laramie,S&B intake, Dnldsn 42",Edge CTS,Smarty Sr. 60 hp II ,33% II, FASS 150,JL cmpnts, 10" stealthbox, Carli 3" springs,Carli track bar, Bilstein shocks, 35" Nitto trail MT, 8lug CA's.
Dieseloholic is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
Diesel Head

The reason it is loud is because the silencer in the intake tube is gone and because some aftermarket intake boxes are not as well sealed as the stock box.
DieselPlower is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.