SHOW ME what a bad injector looks like.. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
SHOW ME what a bad injector looks like..

Doing my nozzles in a weekend or two with a good friend whose a diesel nut, but not a certified tech or anything. Hes done a handful of 2nd gen 24v injectors, 12v work, fuel systems, turbos, etc.

Anyhow, were doing the nozzles soon. I do not know what an injector rattle or bad injector sounds like, my first diesel. I've read plenty about cracking injectors from RP (IE: MP8) etc. So my question here is, besides taking the injectors out, installing nozzles, driving 2 hours to the closest place that flow tests (waste a half a day) Is there a physical way I can look at the injectors after I clean them up really good and say WOAH this ones going bad, like is a bad injector visible I guess is where I am getting at..

I have no symptoms.. no white smoke on start up, no diesel fuel in my oil, no rough starts no bad idle, but I got a rattlin diesel engine under the hood, and I just want to cover all my bases here.
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wont playwell with others

Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,949 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
lets see i have had 4 sets go bad and they never showed anything visible
Old 01-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

There really is no way to look at an injector and say for certain that it is bad unless it is blown all to hell. And i mean it is missing chunks or there is a definite crack in it. The holes for the diesel to flow through are so small that you cant put a needle through one. The only way to really know is to take them out and have them tested. A buddy of mine has a really expensive code scanner and he can tell me which one is not performing correctly. Thats only if its running so bad that it throws a code. My powerstroke i couldn't tell when one injector went out, so much. But when two went out there was a definite miss in the idle and white smoke. When the third one went out when i went to buy the injectors, there was a cloud of smoke behind me.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Like the others are saying the only true way would be to get them tested. I know you're saying you don't want to do it but you will have to, to find out for sure. Have you considered whole new performance injectors inside of tips?
rgaskell is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

A quick test is to measure the resistance with a multimeter. Anything over 1 ohm and most likely the injector is bad. I tested mine this way and all but #5 were 1 ohm or less. #5 was 2.6 ohms (hot) and 2.1 ohms cold.

Last edited by machineman; 01-26-2011 at 06:53 AM.
machineman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
if you see this.... you have problems

triton is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by machineman View Post
A quick test is to measure the resistance with a multimeter. Anything over 1 ohm and most likely the injector is bad. I tested mine this way and all but #5 were 1 ohm or less. #5 was 2.6 ohms (hot) and 2.1 ohms cold.
Can you tell me more about how you did this?

And as far as buying new injectors to the other post, got the nozzles for a heck of a deal, so can't really afford the huge pricetag of new injectors
Old 01-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickcav View Post
Can you tell me more about how you did this?

And as far as buying new injectors to the other post, got the nozzles for a heck of a deal, so can't really afford the huge pricetag of new injectors
Disconnect the valve cover gasket and remove. Set your multimeter to Ohms and check the terminals at the top of each injector.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by machineman View Post
Disconnect the valve cover gasket and remove. Set your multimeter to Ohms and check the terminals at the top of each injector.
If your going to ohm out the injectors you need to take the wires off first.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, Quad cab, 5.9L turbo diesel, 4x4 limited slip, BD Performance Trans with Low stall TC, Line X bed liner, AirDog 165, Bosch +50hp injectors,Fluid Dampr, Glowshift gauges, 134K miles
fixmedaily is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmedaily View Post
If your going to ohm out the injectors you need to take the wires off first.
That is why I said to disconnect the VCG and remove. Once you do that, there are no wires connected to the injectors.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
nah

Testing the resistance only tests the solenoid. You can have a good solenoid with a cracked injecor.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbikedude View Post
Testing the resistance only tests the solenoid. You can have a good solenoid with a cracked injecor.
True. I was just giving him something to start with.

If they all check fine as far as resistance, then you will have to send them out to get tested.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.