48RE Slip in 2nd gear - Band adjust? Manual Trans Conversion? - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 02:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
48 RE transmisson Mods and info.
bighorn59 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ87 View Post
i have a brand new built tranny and it is slipping out in second sometimes and it is the second one in like 20,000 miles doing the same thing. I replaced the kick down motor on the tranny and scanned it to seen if the tps(well its version with fly by the wire throttle) and it all checks out fine.. any suggestions ive been on the phone with suncoast and they are saying to get the ecm reflashed and then put the programmer back on it??? sometimes it works fine and they think I am losing line pressure. any suggestions would be very much appreciated. thanks guys and sorry for jacking your thread
have you tried the governor pressure solenoid? If not look into that. I was talkin to a guy on here and his tranny was fallen out of second also and huntn in between gears. He replaced the governor pressure solenoid and transducer and adjusted the bands and all is great now! GoodLuck! Search the posts for (Updated Borg Warner Governor pressure solenoid)
2005 Ram 2500 QCSB Gray,Self Built Xduty 48re W/ Revmax LSBilletSD and HTS Valvebody. 4in flowtech, AFE Bladerunner, Custom airBoX,90hp tips, 3" lift, 20" XD Addicts,35" Trail Graps, '08 Sport front end, Ranchhand rear bumper.
JTS05Cummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Adjust the band it solves the problem. its required every 33,000 miles. Line pressure can be raised but pan must come off. counter clockwise 1 turn= + 3psi.
mrslva is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

My 48RE slips also in 2nd. The famous 1-2-1-2 hunting! She has 150k miles on her tho. Stock.

Im looking into doing the Manual trans swap for mine. But I'd prefer swapping a trans into my truck than buying another truck with a 6spd in it already.

I just have to find the materials. Meanwhile im killing the tranny driving Standard-like. Heh. Poor her.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

havin the exact same problem with second gonna try and adjust the band but ive never done it before any help?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

im on my 5th trans! the dodge dealer red flagged my truck after the 4th and said they couldnt work on my trans anymore! even tho i still had milleage left on my extended warranty!! so i took it to a local shop in town had them beef it up a little and now after only 6,000 miles im having the same problem!!! brought the truck back in and they changed the governor sensor and solenoid 5 days later same problem! they said im loosing trans pressure.. and something like bad sending connection idk what the deal is im thinking it has to be some kind of bug in my computer or wiring i really dont have a clue what is causing them to all do the exact same thing please help!!!! note! every trans has had problems shifting from second to third and when going under 65 down shifting and when first driving truck in the mornig have to put it in gear and rev for a little bit just to get the ruck to move.... please HELP!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
It's because ur TC is draining off while it sets over night , they have a valve u can put in ur valve body so ur tranny will pump fluid n park and not do that . I would recommend not revving it till it gooes either I would shift it to neutral n let it idle for 10 secs to pump the fluid threw then put it in park and go
Dodge4829 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Diesel Head

My 06 did the same exact thing at 90K miles. I bought a transgo shift kit, new transducer and solenoid and then dropped the pan. Pulled the valve body and put in the new stuff. Adjusted both bands (one internal and one external) and it's been like new ever since. I now have 181K miles on it.

You will need an INCH LBS torque wrench. there are directions all over this site for how to adjust your bands. Very simple.

Shift kit is intimidating to install but is NOT hard. You will need about 12 quarts of ATF+4 to refill. I also did a flush before I dropped the pan and then used a little of this in the oil at refill. Works like a champ.

http://www.lubegard.com/images/item1_lg.jpg

LUBEGARD Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant

Rob
06 Megacab 4WD,Transgo kit, 2" TopGunz kit,4.11, H-2 wheels,315/70/17 BFG's, Flashpaq, K&N, B&W goose, dual shocks at each corner up front, steering box brace, and a bigass dent in the tailgate because my wife just had to back the trailer...
rgsauger is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I tried adjusting mine before the tranny upgrade and it made my govner solenoid act up worse n when my tranny guy got into my tranny the band was almost to the revets
Dodge4829 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.