Getting a real JAKE brake on a 5.9 retro kit coming soon - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Suffers from Black Lung

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Getting a real JAKE brake on a 5.9 retro kit coming soon

Since SEMA is over there are pics floating around with PAC brakes new combination braking system (which I been told not for us) so I made a few calls to Jacobs and this is where I am at.

I told them via email yesterday that pac brake is designing a brake to work with possibly the 5.9 and 6.7 cummins. Why have they not come out with a retro kit like this when they are the ones that pioneered this setup. Also there are a lot of use that use our trucks at or beyond limits and an exhaust brake is not they answer we need to make a living with. Please make a real engine brake for the 5.9 and 6.7 cummins.

They call around noon today as said.

"we have been thinking about a kit and started basis R&D to see what the options would be in making a retro head. We are talking to Dodge and Cummins to see about potential warranty issues with the kit and hope to have more answers in the near furture."

I told them thank you for the fast response and I hold they find the answer we have been waiting for. I would buy 3 almost on the spot for my two trucks and one for my dads granting they aren't 4K a piece. I also said please realize that money is tight for everyone in the working class but if you build it I would be a beta tester!

He said that he would look into it and try and get back with me.

I think we should flood Jacobs with emails so they know that there is a market for this and they would not just be building 3 just for ME

Chris
2004.5 cummins 2500 NV5600 GDS-300 62/65/12 turbo ST base model.
Cumminpwr11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 12:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

I want one! But like you said as long as they are not 4 grand a piece, if i had that much to throw at my truck, id prob save a couple grand more and get a goerend.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

i want one to
hicknate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

You would most likely have to do body lift tp fit the engine brake (compresstion brake) There needs to be a oil manifold on top of the rockers that would push open a single exhaust valve slighty. This would require new valve bridges, longer steam on one of the exhaust valves, the oil mainifold, wiring harness and ECU programing. That is if they plan to do them like an C Brake or a Jacobs brake on a truck.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Ya im not sure it is as easy as it sounds.Im with macko here.Thats alot of block that im not sure is gonna fit under the hood.And im not a betting man but ill bet its gonna be a pricey piece of hardware.Not sure how much room is between the valve cover now and the hood but any jake block i have seen is all of 6 inches or so.Would be interesting to see if they come out with one though.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

only thing wrong with what macko said is the jake brake opens both exhaust valves with the bridge. not just one.

Dreadnaught is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
only thing wrong with what macko said is the jake brake opens both exhaust valves with the bridge. not just one.
No, a Jacobs brake (compression brake) only opens one exhaust valve. If you look in the pic, the red circle shows the valve that releases compression when the brake is activated. AThe one in blue is the other exhaust valve and is only used during normal operation. Both valves work when no brake activation is required. The reason the blue valve looks so different is that the valve dropped and made contact with the piston. this is the way the jacobs brake works on Cats, Cummins, Detroit, Mack, Navistar. This is an ISM

Old 07-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Its Gold Bond season

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Subscribing.
TheDude724 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

I want a jake brake soooo bad.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by macko300exc View Post
No, a Jacobs brake (compression brake) only opens one exhaust valve. If you look in the pic, the red circle shows the valve that releases compression when the brake is activated. AThe one in blue is the other exhaust valve and is only used during normal operation. Both valves work when no brake activation is required. The reason the blue valve looks so different is that the valve dropped and made contact with the piston. this is the way the jacobs brake works on Cats, Cummins, Detroit, Mack, Navistar. This is an ISM

dunno what cat your looking at, but all our 3406's and c-15 acert the brake activates both exhaust values at the bridge.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
dunno what cat your looking at, but all our 3406's and c-15 acert the brake activates both exhaust values at the bridge.
Ok, maybe i am wrong about Cats, but doesnt the bridge have a hole in one end of it? Doesn't the oil rail only push on one valve as the acutal bridge has the rocker lever on it?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

the actuator for the Jake pushes down on the top of the rocker that pushes on both valves with the bridge.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dreadnaught For This Useful Post:
diesel0895 (12-29-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.