How to remove the crankcase filter? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How to remove the crankcase filter?

Got a related post on this but trying to get a quick answer. I removed the two bolts holding the housing. I assume I just pry it out? Not sure how it sits in the crank case.

Also is the breather tube near the filter supposed to be rigid or should it be flexible. Seems like it is rigid as mine is but just checking to see if I need to replace it also.
'05 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD AT. Fred Swanson trans/TC, Carli Backcountry +3in w/progressive leafs, 20x9 XD Misfit wheels, 316/60-20 (35in) Toyo MT's,Bully Dog GT tuner,AFE stage2 intake, 5in Silverline exhaust
twvette is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Figured it out after seeing the new filter. Yep, it just pops out with a little prying/wiggling. It is simply sits in the casing with a large o-ring sealing it at the bottom.

The vent and return tube are somewhat flexible and fairly easy to remove with a flat edge screwdriver to slowly pry them off as you work it around the edge. Remove them before removing the filter.

Here is a pic of the crank case filter with breather and return tubes disconnected before I pryed it off if interested:
'05 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD AT. Fred Swanson trans/TC, Carli Backcountry +3in w/progressive leafs, 20x9 XD Misfit wheels, 316/60-20 (35in) Toyo MT's,Bully Dog GT tuner,AFE stage2 intake, 5in Silverline exhaust

Last edited by twvette; 10-06-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Why are you replacing it? Did your oil presure drop off or spike?
Harnessing the Power of Technology for the Warfighter NAVY/AIR FORCE Son
MOJO is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
Why are you replacing it? Did your oil presure drop off or spike?
How does oil pressure tie into it?
Old 10-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Thats what I am asking I don't know if this would cause this. I was told this that it couold cause this to happen.
Harnessing the Power of Technology for the Warfighter NAVY/AIR FORCE Son
MOJO is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Why I was replacing is dicussed in post here:
Spewing oil ... looks like oil pan front gasket leak, common?
Old 10-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by twvette View Post
Why I was replacing is dicussed in post here:
Spewing oil ... looks like oil pan front gasket leak, common?
Gotcha, that makes sense and the filter is a cheap and easy part to replace. Trying to recall what the maintenance interval is for them, but I can't remember.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I think someone mentioned it being like 60k miles but not sure. Not sure if this is a Dodge or a Cummins recommendation and/or if both agree or even list this. Doesnt seem like too many people are changing these at all but I certainly will be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.