auto trans to six speed ? conversion - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 02:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question auto trans to six speed ? conversion

i have an 06 4 door long box , 5.9 with an automatic transmission. and an edge juice box . I want to install a six speed manual . Im wondering if there is a conversion kit available. and if the conversion will affect the tuner operation . has anyone done the swap before?
PBear is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Do a search on here for tranny swaps on 3rd gens, there was a pretty in-depth thread awhile back on this swap. I recall that the consensus was that you were often better off trading the auto truck in on a different truck with the manual, as the list of parts required is long and spendy. The exception is if you have someone with a nearly identical truck who wants your auto trans, then you can swap parts from one truck to the other. I do recall that the list of parts was much longer than my intuition would have told me. Someone even posted a list somewhere.
BBRam (08-07-2010), PBear (09-10-2010)
Old 08-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I have just finished the swap from auto to NV5600 in my 06 crew cab long box. I have a edge juice with attitude and it still works fine but don't use it since I had to get a smarty to reprogram my ecm(smarty's way beter anyhow). No kits that I found were available, so I used a parts truck for all the hard parts. If you can collect the parts the work is straight foreward. I have not made many posts here and my not be taken seriously on this forum but the project is quite possible and not as painfull as others make it out to be.
I only had to make one truck run not two like others who tried to swap drivelines beteween trucks, that may be the stumbling block.
On a side note my swap turned out cheaper than a stock overhaul on my 48re and my egt's are cooler(stock and when using the edge, and obviously when programed with the smarty) with the 6 gear.
Any other questions I will try my best to help.
Good luck
3odd is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3odd For This Useful Post:
BBRam (08-07-2010), commtrd (07-13-2012), PBear (09-10-2010)
Old 08-07-2010, 01:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've got a 06 single cab dully with six speed manual and 4.88 gears. just bought 06 four door with blown engine, single rear axle w/ 3.73 gears and auto trans. thinking of swaping engine and trans which would include this same auto - manual swap. I'll take pictures. anyone want the dully frame and axles?
FLYHIGH418 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2010, 01:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

My friend actually has an 06 with the 5.9L and he did the six-speed conversion. We live in Pennsylvania and he had Bowser Performance in Mayport, PA do the conversion. The website is linked below. The cost of the conversion was around $7,000 dollars and only had a minor problem. The minor problem was when he switched from an automatic to six-speed the trucks computer didn't want to run the truck. My friend got a new computer and his truck is fine now. You could probably buy the conversion kit off of Bowser performance and do the conversion yourself or have someone install it for you. My friend is now running a South Bend 3600 Dual Disk Clutch and he has an edge juice with attitude(Hot Unlock Code). Any questions PM me.

Store

Last edited by BanksCummins06; 08-07-2010 at 01:56 AM.
BanksCummins06 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BanksCummins06 For This Useful Post:
BBRam (08-07-2010), PBear (09-10-2010)
Old 08-07-2010, 02:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I'm in central Tx and truck is in the sig...anybody sick of shifting let me know
Old 08-07-2010, 02:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3odd View Post
I have just finished the swap from auto to NV5600 in my 06 crew cab long box. I have a edge juice with attitude and it still works fine but don't use it since I had to get a smarty to reprogram my ecm(smarty's way beter anyhow). No kits that I found were available, so I used a parts truck for all the hard parts. If you can collect the parts the work is straight foreward. I have not made many posts here and my not be taken seriously on this forum but the project is quite possible and not as painfull as others make it out to be.
I only had to make one truck run not two like others who tried to swap drivelines beteween trucks, that may be the stumbling block.
On a side note my swap turned out cheaper than a stock overhaul on my 48re and my egt's are cooler(stock and when using the edge, and obviously when programed with the smarty) with the 6 gear.
Any other questions I will try my best to help.
Good luck
I read your original post and it gave me a lot of hope. Was there any other cutting besides running the clutch assembly through the dash? Was there room under the hood for the clutch master cylinder/etc... (I don't remember offhand what my old 6 speed looked like so i don't know if they move crap around on the autos that might be in the way).
Old 08-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

The hole for the master cylinder in the fire wall is there but is capped with an oval plug and held in place with 2 bolts. The hole in the floor needs to be cut but is stamped where to cut. I used an air sheer from the inside and just followed the outline.
There is room in the engine bay for the master cylinder just below and to the left of the brake master. The peatls are held in with pins an e-clips just like the ones that are in your truck, just look to the left of where the brake petal is mounted and you will see the place for the clutch petal to be mounted. All these parts are interchangable and bolt from one model to another. The hole that the auto shift cable goes through the firewall will need to be pluged if you don't want another vent.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3odd For This Useful Post:
BBRam (08-07-2010)
Old 08-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I found this a couple of days ago. dodge 2500 or 3500 6speed trans
nathan04 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2010, 11:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Only in a HEMI

Thanked 1,491 Times in 1,035 Posts
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3odd View Post
I have not made many posts here and my not be taken seriously on this forum
Thanks for posting!

We have done the swap, but it was 03's, and matching trucks.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

We have done the swap, but it was 03's, and matching trucks.[/QUOTE]

I know you have performed the swap, during my serch for info I used your post, as well as others on here. Thank you for the info.

As to my other statement you quoted that was to make known the skepticism that some would have since I am not a known member and that I was not trying to be a knowitall yahoo.
Sorry if there was any misunderstanding.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Only in a HEMI

Thanked 1,491 Times in 1,035 Posts
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Oh no, I appreciate your post, as I'm sure others do as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.