Front Hub and rotor removal 2006 2500 4wd - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Front Hub and rotor removal 2006 2500 4wd

Hello to all cust brought in a 2006 Dodge 2500 Cummings with click/binding in frt end on turns inspection shows bad u joint, seems that Dodge used same set up as GMC on frt rotors were hub assembly has to be removed and studs removed to get at hub alone. one problem is cust plows with vehicle and hubs appear to be frozen in steering knuckle. I see from previous posting that some use a socket and extention and a second person using the trucks steering system to aid in pushing the hub out, others say not such a good idea and use a porta power. problem being only place to "wedge" porta power is between frame and knuckle. is there a better way?? I do not want to destroy hubs at 250 a pop. Thanks in advance for help.

Last edited by bobneu; 07-27-2010 at 09:34 PM.
bobneu is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I'm right in the middle of doing the Pass side right now, did the drivers side 3 weeks ago.
I am doing the socket/extension method by myself.
Pull the Brake assembly, pull the keepers from the studs, then rotor will come off.
Use lots of penetrating oil and a big hammer, hit the rotor to break the rust, then pry it off... Remove the ABS sensor...
Take the 4 bolts holding the hub out, spray P-oil in the holes, oil the hub where it mounts, hit it a few times to help the oil break the rust, put the bolts in, leave about 1/2" out, use a 1/2" drive 19mm deep impact socket with a short ext.. put it on a bolt, butt the ext. against the axle housing, crank the wheel hard (truck running), do it again on an opposite bolt. back the bolts out another 1/2", do it again...
Clean all the rust and anti-seize all the faces of the parts b4 assembly...
03 QCLB 2500 HO CTD 6 spd/Fast Coolers 3.73 4x4 Atlantic Blue Pearl, S&B Filter (# R1262)on K&N Tube, Str8 pipe w/6" tip, "Pusher" Intake Horn, Adj. Boost Elbow, GDP 2mic Filter, Onboard Air w/ Horns, AutoMeter Boost & Oil Pressure.
tryNto is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I tried using the above mentioned mehod with no luck at all, I went from side to side several times, and it never even attempted to budge the hub loose, all I accomplished was mashing up an extension and putting some nice gouges in the axle housing, but never got it loose that way. I hade to end up driving a very sharp file down between theknuckle and the hub where the abs sensor mounts ( with it removed ). I also had a binding U-joint and had to cut it out with a torch but by the time I got it out I had broken a vice and slightly bent the yoke, and the new u-joint will not go back in. I had to make a 2hr drive this morning to get a replacement axle shaft, so I could get it back together. Everything is stuck awful, why couldn't those stupid u-joints have grease fittings?
turbo04 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2010, 01:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

I used the socket and power steering way to remove mine, worked good, had to build some rpm to have the juice to turn the wheels, she was stuck in there gooooooooood, not to mention an hour of press work and hammer work to get u joint out.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I used a large jaw puller hooked on to the hub and the threaded bolt sitting in the center of the axle shaft.

I got it good and tight, say 75 or 100 ft lbs and just turn the wheel back and forth. It would pop loud and I would retighten and repeat. Took both sides off my 03 with no problems.

Doing an 06 tomorrow. Hopefully it goes just as smoothly.
GlennRMK is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Used the socket and extension method a few weeks ago and got it out just fine.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.