Ruined Engine becuase of K+N air filter!! - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Had this happen to a buddy he got in touch with K&N and they got a hold of the dealer and had it out with them. To make a long story short the dealer paid for the engine under warrenty. Don't let the dealer jack you around talk to K&N and see what they can do for you my buddy said they were really nice and even got him a rental to drive while they did all the dirty work. Good luck!!!
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dynomite View Post
I've had K&N style filters on all my trucks since day one. I guess I should stock up on pistons.

Jim
I think the new K&N CAI's come with spare pistons? Combo deal, maybe, instead of the intake elbow like S&B.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Let's get real here.... it is common knowledge that a K+N filter is a terrible filter. Sure, it flows good, because it lets everything through! All I can say is if you run a K+N, you have obviously not done any research.
JDiepstra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyMushCummins View Post
I think the new K&N CAI's come with spare pistons? Combo deal, maybe, instead of the intake elbow like S&B.
On the top of my screen above these posts right now is an add for K&N. I didn't see the free pistons offer.
Jim Dynomite is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dynomite View Post
On the top of my screen above these posts right now is an add for K&N. I didn't see the free pistons offer.
Website says you have to request it. Promo code wEsUCK-77series.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,483 Posts
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT CUMMINGS View Post
When I was researching about buying a cai three years ago, i was told do not buy a k&n filter, sucks oil. Three years ago mind you, and still no one listens .
please explain how a K&N filter sucks oil
drunk on diesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

[QUOTE=drunk on diesel;3157616]please explain how a K&N filter sucks oil [/QUOT

I do not know how it sucks oil, turbo maybe, maybe excessive oiling, don't know., and don 't care majority rules and I not going to be chancing it. So far no regrets , still have the same engine.
2006 Dodge Quad Cab 2500 SRW 4X4 5.9 L, SuperChips 3805, Renegade Front End Replacemnt,K&N turbo tube,Amsoil Air filter,Quadzilla Boost Fooler, Quadzilla Recon XZT guages, Firestone Airbags, Maxbrake controller and amsoil throughout the mech
UT CUMMINGS is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Any oiled filters if over oiled will let oil go through the intake tract and foul sensors along the way. I don't like any of the oiled filters.

I am interested to see if K&N can get the dealer to change their mind.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,483 Posts
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
[quote=UT CUMMINGS;3157635]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
please explain how a K&N filter sucks oil [/QUOT

I do not know how it sucks oil, turbo maybe, maybe excessive oiling, don't know., and don 't care majority rules and I not going to be chancing it. So far no regrets , still have the same engine.
it doesn't suck oil... K&N's aren't great, but they don't magically destroy engines, and they certainly don't crack pistons.

I would venture a bet that more engines have been dusted by people not correctly seating/latching the filter/filter lid than have been dusted by well maintained K&N filters

back in the day before there were so many different filter options, I ran a K&N on my 91... it was installed at about 85k miles... the truck has over 400k on it (on the same filter, BTW!) and is going strong. If it was driven offroad in dusty conditions, that might not be the case, but the point is, it's not going to magically destroy the engine if you run a K&N

I see that even though they're horrible filters, you're still supporting their company!

is your last name Cummings? I have a great uncle named Cummings
drunk on diesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to drunk on diesel For This Useful Post:
WyoMike6.7 (07-28-2010)
Old 07-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I am not stirring the pot but I must ask the obvious question

1. How can a compnay that has produced millions and millions of units for numerous vehicles have a product that is so bad that it cause catrostophic failures? Seem to me there would be lawyers licking thier chops to make a class action lawsuit.

2. I understand the issue with the motor but is it box stock except the air filter? How many miles on the unit...any other mods by you?

3. Did you buy the unit new? if not how many miles prior to you? did the previous owner service the unit? did they have any mods?

If you look there are just to many unanswered questions, beat me up if you want but my questions will be easy compared to what you will be answering if you take this claim to the next level
Old 07-13-2010, 10:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

[quote=drunk on diesel;3157670]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT CUMMINGS View Post

it doesn't suck oil... K&N's aren't great, but they don't magically destroy engines, and they certainly don't crack pistons.

I would venture a bet that more engines have been dusted by people not correctly seating/latching the filter/filter lid than have been dusted by well maintained K&N filters

back in the day before there were so many different filter options, I ran a K&N on my 91... it was installed at about 85k miles... the truck has over 400k on it (on the same filter, BTW!) and is going strong. If it was driven offroad in dusty conditions, that might not be the case, but the point is, it's not going to magically destroy the engine if you run a K&N

I see that even though they're horrible filters, you're still supporting their company!

is your last name Cummings? I have a great uncle named Cummings
yea, i purchased a k&n setup before i did my research, so I did some more digging and found a thread where a guy used the tube and a different filter so I purchased a dry filter. No my last name is not cummings, just a ut grad and 'UT CUMMINS' user name was used. Again I am not a mechanic, just seems more people on this forum do not favor k&n filters do not know why
2006 Dodge Quad Cab 2500 SRW 4X4 5.9 L, SuperChips 3805, Renegade Front End Replacemnt,K&N turbo tube,Amsoil Air filter,Quadzilla Boost Fooler, Quadzilla Recon XZT guages, Firestone Airbags, Maxbrake controller and amsoil throughout the mech
UT CUMMINGS is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 11:21 PM   #24 (permalink)

When you install an un-approved mod, you open the door to warranty claim denial...

From the warranty manual...

But your warranties don’t cover any part that
DaimlerChrysler didn’t supply or is not certified for use on your truck. Nor do they cover the costs of any repairs or adjustments that might be caused or needed because of the installation or use of non-DaimlerChrysler parts, components, equipment, materials, or additives.
Performance or racing parts are considered to be non- DaimlerChrysler parts. Repairs or adjustments caused by their use are not covered under your warranties.
Examples of the types of alterations not covered are:
• installing accessories — except for genuine DaimlerChrysler / MOPAR accessories installed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep dealer

AND..

As the truck owner, you should also be aware that DaimlerChrysler may deny your warranty coverage if your truck or a part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or unapproved modifications.
Parts/Service is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.