Bad Fuel Pressure Relief Valve???? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Bad Fuel Pressure Relief Valve????

I took the return line off the top of the pressure relief valve and there was fuel in the top of the valve. I am assuming this means it is blown???

Can someone who has had one blow please tell me all the symptoms of the blown valve.

I believe I blew mine when wiring up my gauges and crossed a wire causing a pressure spike, I BELIEVE.......

I am getting a lot of codes, and rough idle. Just curious if this is the sole root of my problem, if I damaged the sensor or ECM

This is my original post, I found and fixed the fuel leak, but the rest is still the same.

PLEASE HELP!!! Leaking Fuel, Running Rough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
you will have fuel in the top of your releif. i thought i had a problem with mine and check it out on here one guy sed to pull the bolt and start it and if fuel comes out is bad. NOT TRUE the bolt holts the return line to the top of the releif, the return line also runs to the cp3 and to the filter housing so theres always fuel in it. if your releif is stuck open you will still run but rail pressure will be low under 5000psi at idle and probably won't get over 10,000 maybe 15,000 nowhere near the 25,000-26,000 psi its soposed to pop off at
Old 07-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

also your gauge could be stuck from being wired wrong and burnt it up, so don't assume its correct when it shows that high of pressure.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

So, just to make sure I understand you correctly. There will be fuel on top even if the valve is still good?

I have no idea what my rail pressure is at now, the gauge reads 26K as soon as I turn the key on. When I unhook the wire to the gauge it goes back to zero.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I know there is a short some were still, but when I pulled the line off of the top of the relief valve, and saw fuel, I thought that might be part of the problem.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

if you cap the line off or move it out of the way and clean the fuel sittin in the releif out and have something to catch fuel u can start it and rap it up and see if any fuel is in the releif. thats what guys tell me to do since i dont' have cummins test fitting but i think it will make a pretty good mess if it is leaking.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Question Bypass fuel measurement

Little bit curious here---------when you fellers say 'test fitting' are you speaking of the test fitting which bypasses all the fuel coming out of the extreme rear of the cylinder head, and measured into a graduated cup? That bypassed fuel normally returns to the fuel filter, or the fuel tank?

In an engine which has six good injectors and six good HP connecting tubes which are perfectly sealed, what maximum volume of fuel should be going to the graduated measuring cup? With an idleing engine?

Huh? Huh?

--M
Old 07-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
a test fitting is just a plug that looks like the PRV. Do yourself a favor and give Todd a call..... T&C Diesel scoll down the page about half way
triton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

test fitting i'm talkin about looks like a banjo bolt that goes though the return line on top of the relief valve on the rail and screws into the relief valve, it just blocks fuel from entering the return line there and from the return line leaking fuel into the top of the relief valve. cummins uses it with a gauge to check and see if the relief is poping off correctly.

hey triton, r those any good i mean a stock replacement from cummins is $200 how can they build them for $50 but it seems good if they are built to pop off alot and have constant flow
Old 07-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Will a bad PRV throw any codes?
Old 07-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

yes and not it wont' directly but i think it could if its blown enough that your cp3 can make the pressure the computer is telling it to, but if your rail pressure sensor is bad it would do pretty much the same thing
Old 07-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrider396 View Post
hey triton, r those any good i mean a stock replacement from cummins is $200 how can they build them for $50 but it seems good if they are built to pop off alot and have constant flow
yes they are. Todd @ T&C has been playing with the fuel system for a long time now. It's not a new PRV you get. You send in yours and it gets rebuilt with a higher blow off psi so you don't have to go through them at $200 a shot
triton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.