Transmission Temp Gauge and Boost Gauge Install? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 02:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Temp Gauge and Boost Gauge Install?

Newb here.....Anybody have or know of a good write up on how to install a temperature gauge on a 2003 48RE tranny? Boost gauge? I looked in the 3rd gen. tech articles but couldn't find one. (may have missed it). Also tried google and no luck. Finally got the gauges in and not sure where to put the sensor. is the install an easy tap in somewhere or would i have to drill?(drilling scares me haha) thanks for the help.
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 04:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

boost gauge is too easy you'll replace one of your intake bolts with a boost bolt hook your lil rubber line to it, and be done
I saw a neat way to hook up your trans temp without drilling DieselManor - Taking the Mystery out of Diesel Performance™ has a replacement transcooler line with a place to screw in your probe built into it...other than that you can drill your stock pan or buy a Mag HiTec pan...that's what I'm going to do.
06 Cummins QCSB 4x4 Auto. Billet suncoast. PDI T4 Second Gen Mani. BD intercooler, intake mani and boots. II 85% over pump, II 120's. Hamilton 181/210, springs, and pushrods. HTT 64/71/13SS. Snow Stage 2. Lazarsmith Bars and gauge pods. T&C PRV. Smarty & MP8.
Thanks to Diesel Performance Outfitters of Texas
706/1401 on 2/1/11 12.2 @ 110
cumminstexas is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2007, 05:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

We carry fitting to splice into the rubber hose section of the hot line to mount the temp sender. As for the Boost gauge, boost bolt, a hollow bolt, is the easiest way to install one.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I apologize...let me amend my advice...check with sponsors before you go lookin' elsewhere...the sponsors actually care others may not.
06 Cummins QCSB 4x4 Auto. Billet suncoast. PDI T4 Second Gen Mani. BD intercooler, intake mani and boots. II 85% over pump, II 120's. Hamilton 181/210, springs, and pushrods. HTT 64/71/13SS. Snow Stage 2. Lazarsmith Bars and gauge pods. T&C PRV. Smarty & MP8.
Thanks to Diesel Performance Outfitters of Texas
706/1401 on 2/1/11 12.2 @ 110
cumminstexas is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2007, 06:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet21 View Post
Newb here.....Anybody have or know of a good write up on how to install a temperature gauge on a 2003 48RE tranny? Boost gauge? I looked in the 3rd gen. tech articles but couldn't find one. (may have missed it). Also tried google and no luck. Finally got the gauges in and not sure where to put the sensor. is the install an easy tap in somewhere or would i have to drill?(drilling scares me haha) thanks for the help.
On my 07 I purchased the gauges from Geno's and they have an adapter called the Acu Temp Adapter. The temp probe screws into the adapter and the adapter has a groove that fits over the hot cooler line. Works great no cutting, replacing any lines. In addition, if you buy the boost gauge from them they supply a boost bolt free. Sorry I see now that you already have the gauges, anyway check Geno's garage for the Acu temp and boost bolt.
scottygl62 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2007, 07:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Diesel Nut can get ya going!!!! :thumbsup
I used the replacement cooler line from dieselmanor, before talking to dieselnet, and it turned out to be a bit more costly and time consuming than i planned (I drained/spilled out almost 5 quarts of ATF the hard way... ) - it works good and is very clean looking, once it is installed correctly!

DieselNut, is that a "vampire" type fitting to rubber part of the cooler line for trans temp?
johndough is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2007, 07:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Only in a HEMI

Thanked 1,478 Times in 1,026 Posts
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Just a suggestion here. As for the Tran's Temp, Additional fluid capacity and Cooling is a bonus with the auto, you may want to consider a DD pan and put the sender in it.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

This is what I made up to tap into my hot line for a Stewart Warner trans temp gauge. I plan on having a fun weekend with it.

Transmission Temp Gauge and Boost Gauge Install?-dsc00003.jpg
Old 08-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

This is the one we use.

If you use hose pliers or needle nose vise grips you can limit the amount of oil that drain out. You will have SOME drain, no way around that.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Also if you let the truck sit for about 12 hours (over night) most of the fluid will drain to the pan and there is minimal loss.
04 3500 Silver SLT QC HD, CTD, DRW, Debadged, ISSPRO Pyro, Boost, Trans, Scytek Alarm, Sirius, Silencer MIA, K&N FIPK w/ Amsoil 4095, Angel Eyes Halo Projector Headlights, adj. boost elbow, Diamond eye 4" exhaust, GFS-392
Rob C is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I had good instructions for replacing the cooler line (thanks diesel nut), but figured i knew better after seeing the cooler line was connected higher than where the pan bolted to the tranny. after i removed the cooler line, I only drained about a quart from the line, but then almost 4 qts from the (cooler line hole) in the tranny about 2 inches from the pan line...
didn't know there was that much fluid in the trans ABOVE where the pan bolts on. i thought the truck was "level", but i musta been wrong!

guess it never hurts to put fresh atf in there, even if it was only a month old...
johndough is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2007, 03:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies guys. Diesel Nut, do you have a picture of the fitting already spliced into the hose? i want to verify the the spot that im thinking of.....its really the only spot it looks like. haha thanks.
mytruckisslow (08-05-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.