Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Updates on my cp3 rebuild

7K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  ThinkBio 
#1 ·
Seals are on their way but could take up to a week to get,this is from a local bearing and seal shop which happens to be a friend of mine,I did find out that the o-rings and seals in the pump are made of Vitron,which I know is also used to make valve seals.

#2 ·
Keep on keeping us informed...:popcorn:

#5 ·
yes I meant viton

#6 ·
I'm almost possitive I figured out the reason for the leak so I ordered some more o-rings today,everything will be here next tuesday.

#7 ·
Well, if you think you found it, I guess the next question would be do you think, given where it is coming from, it could ever hurt anything and become more than just irritating?

#8 ·
no ak It would never hurt anything,the problem appears to be two different metals steel and aluminum expanding and contracting at different rates and the only thing sealing the pump area is a very thin o-ring about as thick as a piece of spaghetti.If the whole pump was steel like it should be these leaks more than likely would not even exist.on a side note if my theory is correct as temps warm up the leak should go away.

#9 ·
Outstanding. Keep us posted. When your done, I'll merge your CP3 threads into one and move it over to the 3rd Gen Tech Articles forum.

#11 ·
pictures?????

in my garage

#12 · (Edited)
parts are in will be picking them up this morning,got a few thousand thicker o-ring for the pump area,time will tell if this solved the problem. back to wrenching on the pump,my garage photos are full so I don't know how to post more pics unless I delete some.

#14 · (Edited)
all the bolts were nice and tight and everything was in place as it should be,and the seals all looked good.

#15 ·
well its back together and running better than it has for a while,and my leak is gone,Sorry guys left in a hurry this morning to get the parts before they closed and forgot to take the camera with me.

#16 ·
If anybody else decides to approach the leak as I did, feel free to contact me and I can give part no. for the seals I used,that way you can have the parts on hand and do the job in one day.I used a 2 thousand thicker o-ring around the pump and 1mm larger o-rings around the six passages.

#18 ·
I would also like to get your list of parts and source. Keep it on hand should I ever need it:fist:

#19 ·
1- Harwal-25x37x7 shaft seal- lip type A-material Fpm
1-Harwal-25x36x7 shaft seal- lip type A-material Fpm
1-AME-2.50x54.00 mm Viton o-ring
6-AME-2.00x7.00 mm Viton o-ring

Philadelphia Ball & Bearing Co.
1346 Centre Avenue
Reading PA.19601-1412
phone # 610-376-7500

I don't know the prices yet because they were billed to my Dads business acct.

#26 ·
Is this all I need to rebuild it? Mine is way over due and would like to order everthing for it this week. I was also thinking of ordering the Bag of parts from Industrial Injection and installing them while it is off the truck.

#20 ·
my cost for the rebuild $20.00

#21 ·
Super cheap for a CP3 rebuild! :eek: Wanna do mine next? :lol3:

#22 ·
send it to me and I will fixer up:D

#23 ·
lets hope it stays leak free. I see a package there youll be able to sell when we dont have any more warranty on these things.:thumbsup

#24 ·
even if it only last a year or two until it leaks again $20.00 is alot better then buying new pumps when the warranties expire.

#27 ·
good post, good info.
this will not rebuild the pump, but basically freshen up the seal end of it.if your pump is wore out, it needs a rebuild and not just new seals.
i had a stage 3 pump on an 03 truck, and it use to leak in the winter when it got real cold, but always cleared up when it got warmer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.