replace injector nozzles vs replacing injectors - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
replace injector nozzles vs replacing injectors

Is it poosible to replace injector nozzles without to much hassle or is more technical than it looks seems a lot cheaper fix than going for the whole injector. Glacier deisel power for one sells nozzle replacement kit with tool for about $850.00
HARR945 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Only in a HEMI

Thanked 1,462 Times in 1,016 Posts
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
As long as there are no injector issues, nozzles are the way to go.

This will show the procedure.

3rd Gen Injector Removal/Install Procedure
BBRam is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thats what I was hoping to hear, got a 05 2500 with almot 140000 on it and no issues with injectors but was thinking with that milage ang runnig stock filtration might be a good idea to change them now, going too add a air dog filtration system also figure with that milage also why wait for the lift pump to go
Old 03-17-2010, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Maybe a stupid question but what goes bad with the injectors if its the nozzle that gets the abuse from dirty fuel
Old 03-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Only in a HEMI

They can stick internally, and the injector bodies can crack.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Don't want to throw good money away just looking for input with all the injector problems out there is it worthwhile to try nozzles or plan replacing injectors at this milage and a not good enough fuel filtration system for that length of time. like I said plan on putting a better filtration sytem on soon just worried about injectors.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Only in a HEMI

By all means, upgrade your filtration system. Are you looking to go with larger nozzles, or just a preventative type deal due to the milage?
Old 03-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 1,497 Times in 1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARR945 View Post
Don't want to throw good money away just looking for input with all the injector problems out there is it worthwhile to try nozzles or plan replacing injectors at this milage and a not good enough fuel filtration system for that length of time.
If you can swing it, get a new injector with new tips. The internal wear pieces in the injector are not currently easily replaceable and the outcome is questionable at times.

Once the filtration is down to 2 micron they seem to last real well until the solenoids start wearing out. Around 120-150k a lot of the injector shops are reporting significant wear to the internals that will cause issues.

I am in the same boat. Coming up on 160k and everything I have seen and read tells me to upgrade the filtration and replace the injectors with new to avoid melt downs.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah I'm right with you no injector problems yet but I'm getting that not so lucky feeling. I will add the filtration system soon leaning toward the Air Dog 11 right now like the idea of replacing the lift pump now instead of waiting for it to go and with this system it will come with new fuel module for tank. I'll research a little more any insight from out there will be apreciated. As for the injectors I'm having that bend over and grab you're ankles $2500.00 feeling but when you play with the big boys you pay with the big boys.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Im at 164K with 3 stockers from day 1, and 3 new ones from 122k. I run 5m Drop ins. What is most likely to ruin first, nozzles, bodies, or solenoids?
Torque Monster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

From what I have been reading that there is problem with the bodys sticking open and or cracking and burning out your'e cylinder. Dodge blaming on dirty fuel due to their not so great fuel filter! which is why I'm adding a better fuel filtering system. but I'm sure the nozzles are taking a beating from the dirty fuel also. I began this thread hoping for good preventive measure but from the sounds of it I cant expect much more life out the injectors with my milage 140,000 maybe could of expected more if I thought of my fuel filtering from the begining of the trucks life. Live and learn Its only money
Old 03-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanked 1,497 Times in 1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque Monster View Post
I run 5m Drop ins. What is most likely to ruin first, nozzles, bodies, or solenoids?
The bodies are pretty tough, 29k psi tough. Unless its a manufacturing flaw or too much rail pressure, they hold up pretty good.

Nozzles can crack also from pressure, but, more frequently the dirty fuel starts etching the holes and changing the spray patterns.

The worst failure is when the high pressure fuel etches the seat in the injector that controls the injection event. When its allowing fuel to bypass when it should be closed you start getting fuel in the oil, high EGT's on the effected cylinders, and eventually a melted piston.

The other common failure is the injectors bypass too much fuel back to the tank and bleed off rail pressure. High pressure etching is the culprit here too but they just returns instead of melts pistons.

The injectors can be tested for flow, correct operation, etc, then just up and go bad at any time causing damage. The only sure way is to replace them with new and filter better.
The Following User Says Thank You to cerberusiam For This Useful Post:
Idahoaaron (10-05-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.