tranny fluid and transfer case - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2007, 02:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
tranny fluid and transfer case

I have a 2004 cummins 3500, it has the 6 speed manual with 4 wheel drive. what is recomended for fluid in the tranny, transfer case and front and rear differentials. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2007, 08:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

These are the recommended fluids that I pulled from the Dodge service manual. As always, Dodge recommends to use their product or one of equal quality.

tranny fluid: is Mopar Manual Transmission Lubricant
transfer case: Mopar ATF +4 Automatic Transmission Fluid
front and rear diffs: Mopar Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W-90

If these are not correct, I'm sure that some here will chime in.
'06 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT, G56, 6" Superlift w/bilsteins and dual stabilizers, 35x12.5 Pro Comp Extreme A/T on 17" Pro Comp wheels, Thuren track bar, Smarty, Commader, Line-X, silencer ring gone, AFE dry filter, muffler del, all Amsoil and by-pass .
peterc06ram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Here's a link, so that you can download the PDF version of an 04' Dodge truck manual. You can find all sorts of useful stuff in it. I got this from someone else here on this site. Scroll down the page and it will be on the left of the screen under the picture of an almost naked girl.

"The Premiere website for Hemi Ram and Hemi SUVs."
'06 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT, G56, 6" Superlift w/bilsteins and dual stabilizers, 35x12.5 Pro Comp Extreme A/T on 17" Pro Comp wheels, Thuren track bar, Smarty, Commader, Line-X, silencer ring gone, AFE dry filter, muffler del, all Amsoil and by-pass .
peterc06ram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

AMSOIL ONLINE PRODUCT APPLICATION GUIDE - amsoiloaf.144572652

I have used this in the past!
Old 06-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull660 View Post
I have a 2004 cummins 3500, it has the 6 speed manual with 4 wheel drive. what is recomended for fluid in the tranny, transfer case and front and rear differentials. thanks
NV5600 transmission calls for a 5W30 Synchromesh transmission fluid. Not to be confused with a 5W30 engine oil. I have an NV5600 in my '02 and run this fluid: https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx?zo=1206252

Your transfer case calls for an ATF+4 lubricant. I run this:https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx?zo=1206252

Front and rear diffs call for a 75W90 or heavier gear lube. With aftermarket horsepower mods, I recommend stepping up to a 75W110 fluid (new API category), and if you haul/tow at GVWR most of the time, stepping up to a 75W140 will provide the most protection for heavy use. I run the 75W110: https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svt.aspx?zo=1206252

CAPACITIES
Engine, with filter..........12.0 quarts
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........28.0 quarts
Manual Transmission, NV5600..........9.5 pints
Differential, with 10.50 AA Rear..........4.6 pints
Differential, with 9.25"AA Front..........4.6 pints
Differential, with 11.50 AA Rear..........7.6 pints
Differential, with 9.25"AA Front..........4.9 pints
Transfer Case,NV241 GENII..........3.4 pints
Transfer Case,NV243..........3.4 pints
Transfer Case,NV271..........4.0 pints
Transfer Case,NV273..........4.0 pints
Transfer Case,NV244 GENII..........3.4 pints

TORQUES
Oil Drain Plug.....37 ft-lbs
Transfer case
Fill Plug.....15-25 ft-lbs
Drain Plug.....15-25 ft-lbs
Manual Transmission NV5600 6-SPD
Fill Plug.....22 ft-lbs
Drain Plug.....30 ft-lbs

Duluth Diesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have found that every fluid affects every NV5600 differently...so if one doesn't work well, try another. And what works in that guy's NV5600 might not work so well in yours'. If you are satisfied with the factory fluid, stay with it...changing to another brand might make things worse (shifting).

With that said, I run Royal Purple Synchromax in the tcase with excellent results to date. It is the thinnest of the synchromesh-type fluids and closer to ATF in viscosity than a light gear oil...

I run a blend of Redline MTL and MT-90 in the NV5600. I have ran about every synchromesh-type fluid in my NV5600 (including Amsoil, RP, Pennzoil, and Redline) and redline seems to hold up the best in MY trans.

You might also read about additives in the NV5600, I have yet to find one that worked...I have used LSD modifier, LubeGuard Gear Supplement, and Lucas Tranny Fix...and again, what worked/didn't work in mine, might work great in yours.

And I run Royal Purple 85w140 in the rear...there is a recommendation (from dodge) to run 75w140 if you tow any...the 75w90 is actually a fuel economy thing more than a wear thing. I find the 85W140 provides a cooler running rear diff.

Just my thoughts...

steved
  Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

i have a 06 G56 6 speed. whats the fluid needed for that.
06 2500 4x4, Banks Big Hoss bundle, BDTB with Scary Larry, silencer gone, exaust dump, train horns, blacked out lights 37" Nitto Grapplers. Goerend full built, maybe soon to come.....Turbo, Injectors, and fuel system. then no more haha
Mkoegel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoegel View Post
i have a 06 G56 6 speed. whats the fluid needed for that.

For the G56 manual, AMSOIL ATF is what I recommend.

-Chuck

Duluth Diesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

can anyone tell me where the fill whole and drain plug are located on my 05 diesel dually 6 spd gearbox ? have a grinding problem with 3rd gear and hoping this will help
keating is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.