*HELP PLEASE* P2121 and P2123 codes - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
*HELP PLEASE* P2121 and P2123 codes

Hey everyone. I'm new here and sadly my first post is an issue with my 2004 2500 5.9 I just bought 2 days ago. Bare with me, I've never owned a diesel before and am not a mechanic by any means. I just need some pointers on what to do so I can go from there.

I have done some searching and have found a few posts that are like this, but I just need some more opinions.

On my way to work this morning (-10 out) I started my truck about 10 minutes before leaving. When I was inside I heard it rev up quick as if someone gave the pedal a shot. I get in my truck and my check engine light is on. I need to get to work so I start to drive and just going down my street I get the "dead pedal". I run my codes and it gives me a P2121 and a P2123. Yesterday my truck also accelerated quick on me when I was barely pushing on the pedal.

Now I know the P2121 is APPS issue, and P2123 is APPS 1 high. Not nowing a thing about diesel trucks is leaving me here asking what should I do/check first. I've seen posts where the guy only had this issue in the cold and it was a connector. The truck sat for about 3 of 4 months before I bought it only being used a few times. Should I reset the APPS and clean all the connectors? Can you even reset the APPS?

Any input would be great. Sorry if this is like a repost, I just needed some other say here.

new to this!

Thanks all!!!

Josh
Josh04 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Many including myself have tried to baby the APPS along but in the end you may as well just change the thing. I know they are a little spendy.

If you have a 03/04 the APPS is located behind the bell crank assembly on the engine's front drivers side, under the black plastic cover.

I, as well as many others, have purchased a new one (which is not an original failing part but a different part the seller make adaptable) from http://www.dodgecumminsapps.com/index.html

Last edited by OCMerrill; 02-19-2010 at 12:14 AM.
OCMerrill is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2010, 04:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

P2121 & P2123 Codes

I'm having the same problems with my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. Everytime I go to dealer to fix, the code clears itself and they can't find the problem. I was able to get the codes p2121 & p2123 which indicate accelerator switch. Now I have get them to fix it while it's still under warranty. Pat
pavery is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I had the same issue with my truck last summer. The code will clear after three ignition starts if the problem does not reoccur. An independent shop replaced the TPS for abour $500 and that took care of the problem.
cfite (09-21-2012)
Old 03-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

So wierd

I'm working on this same problem. I have swapped the apps sensor but still does the same thing. It revs like crazy. It's pulling a toyota on me. If I disconnnect the apps sensor the truck goes into a steady idle and the accelerator does not respond of course.

Any body, have a better insight? I hope it is not my computer.
cacique is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I'm having the same problem with mine. Replaced the APPS but didn't fix the problem. I'm getting P2121 and P2122. Have no idea what to do. Don't really trust my local stealership
Old 03-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Hey all, I had this similar problem with my truck and actually replaced the APP with a new unit from the stealership. Unfortunately it did not fix the problem, after much frustration and time I found two connectors next to the trans on the drivers side that someone had broken the lock clips on. They were not making good enough connection, so i had to push them together and zip tie them. It fixed my problem, hope this helps ya!!
Old 03-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavery View Post
I'm having the same problems with my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. Everytime I go to dealer to fix, the code clears itself and they can't find the problem. I was able to get the codes p2121 & p2123 which indicate accelerator switch. Now I have get them to fix it while it's still under warranty. Pat
Your 2004 truck still under warr???
Old 03-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Thats what im sayin...Its under warranty?? Mine wasnt I was on my f-n own..Its a 5yr/100k whichever comes first unless you bought extended...
Old 09-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench91 View Post
Hey all, I had this similar problem with my truck and actually replaced the APP with a new unit from the stealership. Unfortunately it did not fix the problem, after much frustration and time I found two connectors next to the trans on the drivers side that someone had broken the lock clips on. They were not making good enough connection, so i had to push them together and zip tie them. It fixed my problem, hope this helps ya!!
I know this is bringing back an old topic BUT winter is coming and once it gets cold my issue will start again unless I do something about it, Hey wrench, could you get a picture of the area where the lock clip connection is? I will take a look at this before spending $600+ on putting in a new sensor. I really don't want to do that if I dont need it!

Thanks! Hope everyone that's had this problem in this thred has figured it out!
Old 09-10-2010, 03:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench91 View Post

I had the same problem...I actually had to take the connectors off the clips and push them together with both hands and one of the connectors moved about a 1/8 inch and fixed my problem...I guess my issue was it was sticky and not loose or broken clip....either way hope this helps...
chiefchollo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 02:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

p2121 apps problem

getting p2121 code, and am considering replace sensor, but no one really know what problem is. rmps jump around and turbo twitches, also getting a whining noise from fuel pump, is it failing?
azinhick is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.