2004 with no acceleration, cuts out, but idles and starts fine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2004 with no acceleration, cuts out, but idles and starts fine

i have a 2004 Dodge Automatic. and it has been getting really cold here around 0 deg at night and 10 degrees during the day. i was close to running out of fuel the other day and fulled up, plugged my truck in started it up as usual to let it idle for about 30 minutes before getting in. I would also like to mention these diesel don't like to warm inside the cab for anyone. Anyway, while i was driving i had no acceleration. when i would go up a hill i couldn't go faster than 15 mph. if i floored it, it would make it worse. couldn't bring the RPM above 2000 rpm. when i parked it i could only rev to 2500 rpm with no load. i was thinking i got some bad fuel or it gelled up. I am in missouri and i am not sure if the gas station is putting winter additives in. Where can you check for this on the pump. changed fuel filter and still nothing. could this be a bad lift pump or injectors. Could the catalytic converter be plugged up? it idles fine. upon start up there is a little rattling but goes away after 5 minutes. i need some suggestion or a good answer to why i cannot accelerate. the more gas i give it the worse it gets but she will idle fine.
b0horman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

sounds like fuel is gelling. It's f'n cold here in missouri right now.
05 3500 Yellow 6 speed,Mega cab dually fenders,Rumble Bee Scoop,Smarty,CFM+,ATS Exhaust Mani,Silver 64,Airdog 150,Valair 3600 DD,5" Silverline exhaust,8" tip,Icebox with torque tube,Quad Rail Gauge,Mag-Hytecs,Lorenz Level, 22.5's
BSouth is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0horman View Post
i have a 2004 Dodge Automatic. and it has been getting really cold here around 0 deg at night and 10 degrees during the day. i was close to running out of fuel the other day and fulled up, plugged my truck in started it up as usual to let it idle for about 30 minutes before getting in. I would also like to mention these diesel don't like to warm inside the cab for anyone. Anyway, while i was driving i had no acceleration. when i would go up a hill i couldn't go faster than 15 mph. if i floored it, it would make it worse. couldn't bring the RPM above 2000 rpm. when i parked it i could only rev to 2500 rpm with no load. i was thinking i got some bad fuel or it gelled up. I am in missouri and i am not sure if the gas station is putting winter additives in. Where can you check for this on the pump. changed fuel filter and still nothing. could this be a bad lift pump or injectors. Could the catalytic converter be plugged up? it idles fine. upon start up there is a little rattling but goes away after 5 minutes. i need some suggestion or a good answer to why i cannot accelerate. the more gas i give it the worse it gets but she will idle fine.
Wow, mine pretty much did the same thing this morning. Put some Diesel 911 in and let it idel for about one hour and all is good. Your fuel is gelling. I work in Missouri, it is cold.

Last edited by 04 Diesel; 01-08-2010 at 07:30 PM.
04 Diesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

my 04 is doing just about the same thing, except it wont go above 1500 rpm and cuts out and dies when I try to go. I work in kansas city and its -14 wind chill right now.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulfurburner View Post
my 04 is doing just about the same thing, except it wont go above 1500 rpm and cuts out and dies when I try to go. I work in kansas city and its -14 wind chill right now.
Put some Diesel 911 in it and see if it helps.
04 Diesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok so i put the truck in the garage and started up the salamander (heater) and changed the fuel filter, which was black. and earler in the day i put some anti gel cetone treatment. and blamo, something simple actually worked. i think i got some bad fuel or i guess they don't put a winter treatment in their diesel in Missouri. thanks for the help.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

pretty much same story with me, I dumped a bottle of 911 in it and havn't had a hickup since seems kinda fishy to me though since I run anti gel additive every time I fuel up either way gonna order an air dog so I dont have to worry about it
Old 01-14-2010, 12:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Sweet glad you guys got that all fixed up. I can't see why they are not selling blended fuel. I live in Chicago and we are selling it here from october to march
Old 01-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

what does an airdog do to prevent this? my fuel filter when i took it out was black. i still haven't had any issues but it warmed up significantly here. i think i might take the V-rod out. went from -5 to 50 in a week and snow is melted.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

i would say one of three things, Gelled, bad lift pump or you Accelerator Pedal Postion Sensor (APPS) is out
Early 2004 6-speed manual NV5600 short shift, Exhaust brake, straight, Edge Juice with Attitude (That b**ch is HOT), S&B, Leveled, Whats a silencer ring? http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/p...00211-1723.jpg
Carson1219 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.