Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2004 with no acceleration, cuts out, but idles and starts fine

9K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Carson1219 
#1 ·
i have a 2004 Dodge Automatic. and it has been getting really cold here around 0 deg at night and 10 degrees during the day. i was close to running out of fuel the other day and fulled up, plugged my truck in started it up as usual to let it idle for about 30 minutes before getting in. I would also like to mention these diesel don't like to warm inside the cab for anyone. Anyway, while i was driving i had no acceleration. when i would go up a hill i couldn't go faster than 15 mph. if i floored it, it would make it worse. couldn't bring the RPM above 2000 rpm. when i parked it i could only rev to 2500 rpm with no load. i was thinking i got some bad fuel or it gelled up. I am in missouri and i am not sure if the gas station is putting winter additives in. Where can you check for this on the pump. changed fuel filter and still nothing. could this be a bad lift pump or injectors. Could the catalytic converter be plugged up? it idles fine. upon start up there is a little rattling but goes away after 5 minutes. i need some suggestion or a good answer to why i cannot accelerate. the more gas i give it the worse it gets but she will idle fine.

#2 ·
sounds like fuel is gelling. It's f'n cold here in missouri right now.

#4 ·
my 04 is doing just about the same thing, except it wont go above 1500 rpm and cuts out and dies when I try to go. I work in kansas city and its -14 wind chill right now.

#6 ·
Ok so i put the truck in the garage and started up the salamander (heater) and changed the fuel filter, which was black. and earler in the day i put some anti gel cetone treatment. and blamo, something simple actually worked. i think i got some bad fuel or i guess they don't put a winter treatment in their diesel in Missouri. thanks for the help.

#7 ·
pretty much same story with me, I dumped a bottle of 911 in it and havn't had a hickup since :thumbsup: seems kinda fishy to me though since I run anti gel additive every time I fuel up :confused013: either way gonna order an air dog so I dont have to worry about it

#8 ·
Sweet glad you guys got that all fixed up. I can't see why they are not selling blended fuel. I live in Chicago and we are selling it here from october to march

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.