Thinking about buying - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thinking about buying

A coworker is looking to sell his 2005 Cummins. He is asking 10k. It has 215k miles. Never any heavy pulling. Factory injectors and tubes, tranny has never been touched. Ball joints, tie rods have been changed. It does have some steering slop, thinking it needs a steering box.
I'm new to diesels, not real knowledgeable on them. My question is, when I go look at the truck, what are things that I should watch out for? Any red flags, or any other suggestions you may have?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Add--automatic transmission.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Cummins Nut

Ideally a cold start to see if there's a long crank and/or white smoke, once running and warmed up pull off the oil fill cap and check for excessive blow by, check for rough running. How many miles, quad cab, 4wd? That's a pretty good price.

2004.5 2wd RCSB, auto, 3.73, BMS 100 injectors, Fleece cheetah Holset, Hptuning by Firepunk, Goerend triple disc, Fleece stroker CP3, FASS 150, 295,000 miles and counting. Best ET to date 12.0@113mph (with smarty tuning)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:17 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Steering slop will be typical on most used trucks of that age. Like stated above, check for cold start issue and blow by. 10K is a really good price. Injectors have a lot of miles on them but there's guys on here who have over 300,000 on stock sticks, so take it how you want. Doesn't sound like i'd be afraid of this truck.

Flame Red | 2005 | 6 Speed Manual (NV5600) | 4 Door | Long Bed | 4X4 | Big Horn Edition | 285/70/17 Toyo AT2 | GDP Big Line Kit w/ CAT Filter | Edge Insight CTS2 | Diamond Eye Muffler Delete Pipe | Fast Transmission Cooler
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:03 PM
Cummins Fan

Love my 05 dont think tou could go wrong. And the above information would be correct things to look for. As far as steering slop can come down to many things. I have all new steering under the truck with in the past 2500mi and still had some slop. Found that there was some play in the steering shaft that was fixed with some small bushings that fixed it right up. So i would just look it over well for leaks of any kind. Again long starts, blow by, and white smoke as any of the three can add up fast for what it takes to fix those types of issues. If its good buy it and dont look back thats a good price by far i know trucks like that here in my part of texas go for quite a bit more.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

59turbo...it is a quad cab slt 4wd. 215k miles.
Any reason to be afraid of the transmission if the truck hasn't been abused?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:33 PM
Cummins Nut

I bought mine with 231k and drive it for 2 years without an issue. I finally went thru it cuz I was planning on beating on it. Sounds like a good buy.

2004.5 2wd RCSB, auto, 3.73, BMS 100 injectors, Fleece cheetah Holset, Hptuning by Firepunk, Goerend triple disc, Fleece stroker CP3, FASS 150, 295,000 miles and counting. Best ET to date 12.0@113mph (with smarty tuning)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:18 PM
Diesel Freak

Better hurry that's better than NADA / blue book.

If I had the opportunity to buy a clean with nearly no real mechanical issues cummins truck for 10K I'd buy it pronto. 10K is a steal of a deal, because it will always be worth 10K.

Trannies are easy to check if you've experience with what they should behave like. If your friend can wait, get an oil sample to Blackstone and see what they think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT QCLB White - Stock - In-Tank lift pump - DeeZee FX full length running boards - Spray-in bedliner - Fog Lights - A Dave Smith Lemon Special!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Also found out it has a superchip that he only used to correct speedo for tire size. I've got first dibs on the truck, I've been pestering him for a year about it. Gonna go check it out next week. It does have a dent in the tailgate and bumper, but it's not bad. Few hundred bucks and it'll look like new. Thanks for the input fellas, and if anyone else has any suggestions I'd appreciate it!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:02 AM
Cummins Nut

I would have already bought it

Plan to put $5k into it in the next 2-3 years and you'll be happy, all the little stuff adds up. Depending on your intended purpose for the truck, the trans should be fine assuming proper maintenance. Injectors could go on the drive home, no way to tell but they'll run you approximately $3k.

The steering could be a host of parts, as mentioned start small with bushings etc., don't jump right to a very expensive steering gear. There is an incredibly healthy aftermarket for these trucks, anything your heart desires can be procured...for a price. The best thing about that truck is you're buying it at a VERY good price and from a person who can tell you the exact service history. A dealer would be charging double and you'd know nothing about it. Like I said, I would have already bought it.

06' 2500 QCSB Auto. Thuren 3" w/ 35's 4.56's. Lots of mods, EFI Live
(Sold) 04.5 3500 SRW HO 6spd, Thuren Carli Hybrid
(Sold) 93 W250 5 spd $+$$$$$=Happy
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:20 AM
Happy Camper

Sounds good, go buy it & show us some pics

Gerry
2011 white Ram crew cab short box, Viair, train horns, Amp bed step
2010 Sandpiper 345RET, 40ft 5th wheel
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I was getting kinda worried becuase of the cost of repair and maintenance on these trucks. I definitely don't need a diesel, I will never pull more than a medium size lift trailer, but I've wanted one for a while. If it is as good as he makes it sound, I will
Be buying my first non-GM product!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode