Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Transfer case

20K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  tsconver 
#1 ·
So how do I find out what transfer case I have on my truck? Want to make sure I get the right fluids when I change it out.

2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 2500 4x4 5.9 with 48re trans. 9.25 front axel and 11.5 rear end.

#2 ·
ATF 4

You have the same truck i have

also just crawl under the truck and there should be a tag on it with the #. I can remember right off hand but it should be a NP 271 or 273.

#3 ·
You don't even have to crawl under the truck to do that!

If you have a shift lever on the floor-NP271, electric knob-NP273..............both take ATF+4 as noted above, or throw some 75w90 gear oil in that puppy!

#6 ·
...or throw some 75w90 gear oil in that puppy!
Not sure that is the best idea. GL5 gear oil is fortified with extreme pressure additives, for use in high speed/high torque automotive gearboxes. A transfer case doesn't have extreme pressure gear meshing under torque, its made up of planetary gears and roller bearings which is why ATF is almost always specified.

#5 ·
I just converted mine, it isn't as hard as you think it is!

#9 ·
If my electric controller freezes up just once I'll be calling with not so nice of words. asking the how too's.. cuz I know it's gonna get ice build up one day...[emoji12]

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ducks300
#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.