Cummins Diesel Forum banner

pinion torque REAR END GUYS!

10K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Rusty2867 
#1 ·
So I replaced the pinion seal on my AAM 11.5 yesterday,when I checked rotating torque there really was none.The factory service manual says 10 to 20 in lbs with used bearing without the diff in.Should I just tighten until I hit that or what should it be with diff in? It is my understanding the depth is set with shims and preload with the crush sleeve,correct?

#2 ·
Noy any help to you on your current issue, But I replaced my front one 6 months ago just by returning the Nut to the same place it was to start with and no more leak.

#3 ·
Well I hope everything turns out ok on this! Had to put her back together so I can go to work this week!

#4 ·
so most of your shops and the dealer would just do the same as "tryNto" said. this is the same thing that i have done on different trucks. and will be the same thing i do when i get the yoke out of the diff to change the seal.

I really hope you at a min did it this way so that you can at least get near the old tq settings.

#5 ·
Yes I did but with it not even registering a torque I was wondering if I should go a little tighter.

#6 ·
You are using a inch pound torque wrench correct?

Also you need the old beam style

Just wanted to make sure

Did you put everything thing back in ?

#7 ·
Yep inch lb beam.Put back together drove it no more noise than it had before

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.